chapter: thirty three

"Why is your leg bouncing so much?" Eli asked as he turns around in his seat to look back at me.

I look at him then shrug before looking out the window at the buildings going by. I knew my leg wasn't going to stop and I was hoping nobody would notice.

Eli has been looking at me with a weird expression ever since we got into this car.

Naomi was driving us to El Placer and I was a nervous wreck.

I was nervous to see River after learning some things about her.

This fascination with her keeps growing by the second and it's a scary feeling in my chest right now.

"You good?" Eli asks as we were pulling up in the parking lot. I saw Naomi look over and shake her head as she parked.

"Leave her alone. You've been bothering her ever since we left the house."

We all got out and the cold air hit my face but didn't affect me. I could feel my insides burning more than the cold hitting my face.

As we all walked to the entrance, I tried keeping my breathing under control and everything else but it was hard when we walked in and my eyes landed on her behind the counter.

Eli looks back at me and smiles before motioned towards her. I gave him a look before pushing my way past them and to a booth that was open. I sat down and looked out the window before they came and sat down across from me.

"What's wrong?" Naomi asks.

"It's her crush." Eli chuckles. "Every time she's near her, her face gets red and she starts acting weird."

Looking at him, I roll my eyes before staring down at the table. I wanted to avoid any eye contact with them as much as I could so I could get my breathing under control.

Damn this.

Why must it be her?

Out of every other woman, why her?

I guess when you're drawn into someone, it's hard to escape.

I learned that over the past month.

Ever since I saw her, it's like she's been messing with my mind ever since before I knew her name.

Someone came by and took our orders. I got a water and Naomi ordered a drink along with Eli.

When our drinks came back, I placed the straw in the glass and swirled it around for a moment before taking a sip. I look up and saw Eli staring at me as I was doing so.

"What?"

"You're acting so weird." He says.

Naomi elbows him then gives him a look before looking over at me. "Ignore him, Jesse."

I shrugged before taking a sip of my drink and staring out the window. I watch a few people walk by and how the sky was turning a darker color as the sun was fading from the sky.

Sighing, I really enjoyed this view.

"Jesse?"

I look over to see Naomi watching me and Eli was doing the same as he was taking a sip of his drink.

"Sorry," I smiled. "zoned out."

"You ok?" She asks.

I nod as I grab my glass and took a sip. I saw our food coming and I smiled as she placed the plates in front of us. I could feel my stomach growl by looking down at the food in front of me.