chapter: thirty eight

DNA by Lund^

It's been a few days since that day at Rivers.

A few days since she told me, again, to leave her alone.

It hurt for many reasons. I guess it hurts cause she was my crush and having your crush tell you to leave them alone was hard enough to swallow.

Another reason would be that I felt that in my chest for the second time from her telling me to my face.

I've been coping with this all by staying in my room and no having any contact with the outside would for the past few days.

Naomi asked if I wanted to hang out with them and I declined.

I stayed to myself and didn't leave my room unless I absolutely have to.

Eli could tell something was going on cause he keeps checking on me. I would be laying in bed, listening to music and not doing anything since that day.

I wouldn't talk to him. I wouldn't even talk to mom or dad about what was going on cause how could I explain to them that a woman I adored had told me to leave her alone multiple times already.

They could tell something was going on but I tried not letting it show that much.

Yesterday, I got a call from Emma and she asked if I could watch her daughter in a few days while she handles some business.

Of course I accepted. I wasn't going to deny them cause it's work related.

As long as I don't have to go anywhere near River, I think I'm fine.

Staring at the ceiling, I sighed before grabbing my phone and looking through instagram. I was getting tired of this boredom that I was tempted to go outside and ride around but stopped myself when I thought about River.

I think Eli was working today and mom wasn't home nor dad.

It was just me and I was glad cause I get to stay in bed for the whole day and not worry about anything.

But as I was enjoying the solitude, I heard the front doorbell and I placed my phone down as I stared at my door.

I kept listening in case I was imagining it but when I heard it again, I got up to see who was at the door. I didn't know who it could be cause there's really not a lot of people that come by here.

If it's mom or dads friends then they usually call beforehand.

Walking downstairs, I saw an umbrella in a vase as I walked through the hall. I grabbed it just in case before slowly walking to the door and peeking through the peephole.

Placing the umbrella against the wall, I unlocked the door and opened it, seeing Naomi smile at me as I gave her a confused look.

"Hey?"

"Hi. Sorry to just come by unannounced."

I nod as I look around her then back at her. "Eli is at work."

"Oh yeah, I know. I just went by there to see him." She smiles. "I came to see you."

"Why?"

She looks at me for a moment before I opened the door more and let her inside. When I shut it, she turned towards me. "Eli said you were acting weird. You weren't doing anything and you've been in bed for a few days."

Nodding, I saw her step closer before placing her hand on my forehead. "What are you doing?"

"Making sure you don't have a fever." She chuckles. "You feel fine to me."