chapter: sixty eight

"Are you nervous?" I ask River as we were parked in the driveway at my house. I shut the car off before looking over at her as she was staring ahead at the house. "River?"

She looks over but didn't say anything as she grabbed the door handle then got out. I watch her for a moment before getting out then walking around the car and meeting her in the front.

"It's ok."

"Stop." She says as she looks around. I could see something in her eyes. Something was telling me that maybe this was a bad idea.

Looking over at the house, I glanced around before looking back at her. "We don't have to do this. We can go back to your house."

"No." She said. "Just stop." She walks past me towards the house and I follow her to the door.

I watch her as she stopped in front of the door then I opened it up before stepping inside. I look over at her as she was walking in and I could feel my heart pounding now that we were here and inside.

We walked through the hall and I heard them in the living room. I had sent a text earlier, telling them that I was bringing her over so I knew they were all waiting on us.

Mom was the first one to stand up as we walked in the living room. I could see dad putting his magazine down and Eli was sitting on the chair, looking at his phone.

I slightly smile at mom as she looks at me and smiles before walking to River and introduced herself. I walked away towards Eli as he was now looking at me as I approached him.

Sitting on the arm of the chair, I look over at mom as she was talking to River. Dad was standing next to her and they were both talking about something I really didn't pay no attention to.

"Are you ok?" Eli asks as he looks up at me.

Looking at him, I nod before looking over at them for a moment. "Yeah. I just.. did I rush into letting them meet her? I feel like I did."

He looks over at them for a moment before looking back at me. "I mean.. you did just start dating. But you've been messing around with her for a while."

Shaking my head, I look over at them as they were now walking to the couch. I saw River glance over at me and I sighed once I realized that I did make a mistake in rushing this.

As I was watching them, Eli introduced himself to her then mom started talking about all kinds of shit. I kept listening, waiting for her to say something embarrassing which of course she did. She mentioned to River that I didn't have a lot of girlfriends and it surprised her when I mentioned I was seeing someone who was much older than I am.

But as they were talking, I kept noticing River's body language. She was sitting there with her legs together, her hands folded on the top of her lap and she wasn't really doing much of anything.

She would talk every once in a while if mom asked her a question but she was mostly sitting quietly as mom kept talking.

After about an hour, mom had already told her almost everything that didn't need to be said. I was embarrassed, dad was embarrassed and Eli was also embarrassed. She managed to embarrassed every single one of us without even trying.

Eventually, it was all over and I was more than a little happy. I hugged mom bye as she told River to come see them whenever.

But I could see Eli watching us from the chair, giving me a look that meant something was wrong.

I looked over at River and did notice something was definitely wrong but thankfully mom and dad didn't notice cause they were still acting like nothing was wrong.