Forty Two

trigger warning- light mentions of su*cide

-The Night We Met-

-i don't know what i'm supposed to do-

-haunted by the ghost of you-

"What is he arguing with Crabbe about?" Theo whispered to Vena.

She turned to look at Draco and Crabbe who were in fact, arguing. Vena shrugged at Theo, before paying attention to the Ministry worker again.

Everyone who would be turning seventeen before August thirty-first were in the Great Hall, for their first Apparition lesson. All four houses were there, bustling with nervousness and excitement.

"Malfoy, be quiet and pay attention!" Professor McGonagall reprimanded.

Everyone turned to look at her brother, whose cheeks were reddening. He stepped away from Crabbe and walked over to Vena, seemingly done with their argument.

Twycross, their Apparition instructor, continued his speech. "As you may know, it is usually impossible to Apparate or Disapparate within Hogwarts. The headmaster has lifted this enchantment, purely within the Great Hall, for one hour, so as to enable you to practice. May I emphasize that you will not be able to Apparate outside the walls of this Hall, and that you would be unwise to try. Now, I would like each of you to place yourselves now so that you have a clear five feet of space in front of you."

There was a great jostling around as people did as told. Crabbe had walked back over to Malfoy, in hopes to continue their argument.

Vena rolled her eyes, and placed herself in between Draco and Theo. Blaise stood in front of her, and Goyle to his left, bummed out that he could not stand next to Vena.

She felt bad for the boy. He really needed to stop having a crush on her.

"The important things to remember when Apparating are the three D's!" Twycross said.

Theo coughed, choking on his own air.

"Step one," continued Twycross, "Fix your mind firmly upon the desired destination. In this case, the interior of you hoop. Kindly concentrate upon that destination now."

Everyone looked around the room to see if that's what they were supposed to do, and hastily turned their attention to the hoop in front of them. Vena stared at it, unimpressed. She thought that Apparating was going to be much more exciting.

"Step two; focus your determination to occupy the visualized space! Let your yearning to enter it flood from your mind to every particle of your body!"

Vena thought that Twycross was way too hyper for her. She never did well with those types of personalities.

"Step three," called Twycross, "and only when I give the command... turn on the spot, feeling your way into nothingness, moving with deliberation! On my command, now... one-"

Vena and Theo exchanged looks with each other, confused if they were actually attempting Apparition after a five minute lecture.

"Two,"

No way was this safe.

"Three!"

At his command, the hall was filled with booms of people falling over. Many people laughed, whether at themselves or other people, and Twycross clapped his hands to get their attention again.

"Never mind, never mind," said Twycross dryly, "adjust your hoops, please, and back to your original positions..."

But the second time didn't go better than the first. Nor the third. Nor the fourth, or any other time for the following hour. Vena knew she wasn't going to get it on the first day, and gave up.