Trapped Again!

"Well," said Maya. "It's an ancient lock, can't be that easy to unlock it."

"Wait a minute," said Advika. "You remember we had got a key in that other room where we found that magic bowl?"

"Yes, but, what are the odds?" said Maya. "Why will the key be there, so far from the treasure? Let's look for other clues."

Advika looked at the treasure longingly.

Maya's eyes widened with intrigue as she observed the massive painting hanging on the dilapidated wall. Layers of dust covered its surface, obscuring the intricate details within. She couldn't help but be drawn to it, taking cautious steps closer.

"Look at this," Maya exclaimed, her voice filled with a mix of excitement and curiosity. Advika joined her, their gazes fixated on the captivating artwork before them.

The painting depicted a grand courtroom, adorned with rich tapestries and ornate furniture. At its center sat the king, resplendent in regal attire, his golden crown gleaming atop his head. Surrounding him were eleven figures, each dressed in vibrant red robes, their postures indicating a sense of loyalty and authority.

Advika's mind raced as she attempted to make sense of the painting's significance. "How many subordinates did King Himaqat have?" she pondered aloud, her fingertips delicately brushing against the dusty canvas in an attempt to reveal more details.

Maya contemplated the question, her eyes fixed on the painting's subjects. "Eleven," she responded, her voice tinged with a mix of awe and intrigue. "But we can't jump to conclusions solely based on this painting."

"Of course, I was just-"

A sharp, metallic click resonated through the room, causing Advika's heart to race. Her senses heightened; she swiftly turned her gaze towards the source of the sound. Maya rushed towards it and pulled the door handles with all her might, almost swinging from it.

Advika took a deep breath, attempting to steady herself amidst the tension. Her eyes scanned the room, seeking a potential escape route. And then, she spotted it—a window, obscured by layers of grime and neglect.

"Maya!" Advika called out, her voice filled with urgency. She assessed the hexagonal window, its corners and edges corroded with rust, seemingly frozen shut. Frantically, she tried to manipulate it, her hands desperately searching for a way to open it. But the window remained stubbornly sealed, refusing to yield to her efforts. 

Maya knocked on the window. "Glass can be broken," she said.

Maya lifted her right leg and hit the glass forcefully. Advika searched the room as Maya kept kicking the glass.

Advika's eyes fell upon an assortment of objects scattered across the room—a broken chair leg, a discarded metal pipe. A glimmer of hope sparked within Advika as she realized the potential of these makeshift tools. Hastily, she retrieved the sturdiest piece within reach. 

"Maya," she said and sat on the dusty ground. "It seems like some king, queen, prince, or princess lived here."

Maya, breathing heavily, staggered towards Advika and sat on her knees. "Do you realize," she almost screamed, "that we are stuck in an unknown place with no network."

Advika immediately checked the signal on her phone. She took a deep breath. "Maya," she said. "I know we are stuck and, relax we will get out of here."

"How? How Advika!?"

"Calm down," said Advika. "Remember the first poin-"

"O! shut up!" said Maya and got to her feet. "I don't need your tips. Just tell me, how are we going to get out of here?"

Advika gently closed her eyes, allowing her mind to settle and focus on the connection she shared with Zarna. With a conscious effort, she loosened the tension in her body, releasing any lingering worries or doubts. Inhaling deeply, she sought to center herself, immersing her senses in the tranquility of the moment.

In her mind's eye, she visualized Zarna's familiar presence, envisioning her sitting right in front of her, their connection strong and unbroken. With a soft whisper, Advika projected her thoughts, shaping them into words intended solely for Zarna.

"Zarna," she said in her mind. "Zarna, me and Maya are stuck here in this secret room of the temple. Please help. Do not tell Tej or Ray. Try the voice changer app I installed on your phone. Talk to my and Maya's parents. Tell them we are safe and will stay at your house."

~~~~~

A glass slipped from Zarna's hand and met the floor. "Zarna," said Swarna. "Are you alright?"

"Yes," said Zarna. 

"I'm sorry, I-"

"No problem, dear," said Swarna. "The maid will clean it. It's okay."

~~~~~

Daksh stepped inside the seemingly modest hut, its unassuming exterior belying the spaciousness within. He marveled at the magic that transformed these dwellings, expanding them into rooms that rivaled the comfort of luxurious hotels.

Feeling weary, he approached an earthen pot filled with water, splashing his face to refresh himself. Droplets cascaded down his features, mingling with his thick auburn hair that gently brushed the nape of his neck as he ran his fingers through it.

As Daksh closed his eyes, memories flooded his mind, bringing forth visions of Dai Ma's nurturing presence during his childhood. She had been a steadfast pillar of support, stepping in after his mother, Tara, passed away. The weight of grief and loss settled heavily upon him, as if a crushing grip had seized his heart.

Unbidden tears welled up, spilling down his cheeks as he crumbled to the ground, his knees sinking into the soft floor beneath him.

Rishi stood at the door, watching Daksh cry from a distance. A tear slid from his eye, he pursed his lips and punched the door slightly, sobbing. 

To be continued. . .