Working Together?

Rutuja, Daksh, and Rishi landed on the second floor of their current residence, only to see Indra pacing through the library.

He signed and hugged Daksh. Daksh froze for a second and then hugged his father.

"Where have you been?" started Indra. "Wasn't I clear when I said no stepping out?" He glanced at Rutuja. "And why are you all drenched in water?"

Rishi stepped forward and bent his head a little. "Master Indra," he began. "There is something we need to tell."

~~~~

"So you're telling me to believe those guys," said Maya and crossed her arms, looking at Advika.

Advika signed and placed her coffee mug on the tray. "No," she began. "We will just be together until this Moon Prince thing is over."

"But, I don't understand," said Zarna and rested on the bean bag. "How did we all get there. Was it like planned? By the Prince? We went there to find clues about this woman-"

"About it," interrupted Ray and rubbed his hands on his shorts. Advika closed her eyes and nodded. "There's a tissue-" began Maya.

"I know there's a tissue right there!" Ray almost yelled.

There was a brief pause. "Chill, why are you so-"

"No, I'm not offended," said Ray. "I'm amazed at the casualness of you guys." He pointed at the girls.

Advika knew where this was going. "Listen, Ray, Tej," she said. "I know you guys are mad at us for not telling you and just doing things on our own, but, we-"

"We had to," added Maya. Advika looked relieved.

"We might have paused the mission. But the enemy out there, he's not resting."

"His family and friends aren't going through a crisis, I'm sure," said Ray.

"No, no, no, Ray," said Advika and got down from the bed. "You're getting it all wrong." 

She looked at Tej. "It's just that whoever is behind the book is getting powerful every passing minute."

"Exactly," hoped in Zarna. "It is not about priorities or hiding things. It's about keeping up with the opponent."

"By putting your life in danger?" quizzed Tej. "What if we couldn't find you today? Could you face those three alone?"

"Wait," said Maya and tilted her head. "Are you saying we are any less than you guys?"

"No, where did this guy or girl even come from?" said Tej. "It's just about the five elements being incomplete without each other."

"Okay, guys," said Zarna. "Time is ticking and-"

Advika glanced at the wall clock. "We've already lost 2 hours of 13," she stated.

"Let's just go to the forest. I guess those guys will be there too," said Zarna and got to her feet.

~~~~

Indra crossed his arms, his expression contemplative, as he gazed at the three children before him. His eyes wandered briefly to the sky before returning to them. "You children have left me speechless," he admitted, a hint of awe in his voice.

"I'm afraid the Moon Prince is... well, the Prince," he muttered, more to himself than to the trio.

Confused, Daksh questioned, "What do you mean?"

Indra took a deep breath before responding, "The Moon Prince is Azazel's son. It is believed that he possesses extraordinary powers, capable of harnessing the energy of the moon itself."

Rishi interjected, his voice tinged with skepticism, "If he truly is Azazel's son, he would never have allowed us to escape. Evil forces don't simply let go."

"They do," said Daksh and glanced at Rishi. "They do when they know you can do something they themselves cannot."

Rishi's mind went back to the time when Daksh discovered he knew about his Azazel connection.

"Now waste no time," said Indra. "Go, I will be watching you children, all of you."

"Even the five?" wondered Rutuja.

"Yes, of course," replied Indra. "They are the elements now. And-" he placed his one hand on Daksh's shoulder and another on Rishi's. "You are the protector, guardian, and keepers of the book, whose knowledge is now in those five children. It makes you their guardian as well. They are not enemies. I believe Grantha chose them."

Daksh opened his mouth to protest. Indra tightened his grip on his shoulder. "No, you might not trust them. But Grantha does, and there's no doubting her decision. Now, off you go."

~~~~

Tej hit the brakes as they reached the forest. Another red SUV came to a halt after them.

Under the radiant sun and amidst a gentle breeze, the surroundings were filled with warmth and tranquility. The faint chirping of birds provided a melodic backdrop to the scene.

Advika emerged first, appreciating her choice of wearing a white top that day, allowing the sunlight to caress her skin. Zarna followed suit, stepping down gracefully and adjusting her white sneakers. Each of them had opted for comfortable attire, donning tops, shirts, and khakis or jeggings, as they anticipated an adventurous outing filled with action.

"I'm surprised," said Ray to his friends. "I thought these guys only teleport, not transport." He chucked on his own bad joke. Advika smiled.

"So?" said Maya and shut the car's door. "Does that mean that you're not mad at us?"

The boys exchanged a glance. "We're still upset," said Tej and locked the car.

"But we're sorry," said Zarna and pouted.

Ray and Tej gave them a blank look and advanced towards the forest.

It was unlikely for Ray to be upset. They had always seen him in a good mood. He was someone who made the entire group look jovial. Tej, on the other hand, was never vocal about his feelings, love or anger. He failed to express himself through words.

Rutuja looked at Advika and pursed his lips. Her eyes met the others. She knew it was a matter of some hours, but it troubled her already.

They all gathered and stood in a line in front of the barren land. "Will the forest appear?" quizzed Rutuja and crossed her arms.

"It should," answered Zarna.

"And if it doesn't?" wondered Rishi.

"Then you'll have to call Grantha," said Daksh and spun to look at Advika.

"Wha- . . . Me?" She looked at her friends and then the three. "No, I can't call her. Nobody can. We don't know how to."

Daksh opened his mouth to say something. "Careful with the tone," whispered Rutuja to him.

"The first time she spoke was when you were in trouble. She spoke to you," he said.

"When you put us in trouble," inserted Maya. "What about it?"

"You're the one who can summon her," Rishi reminded Advika. "Grantha revealed herself to you first."

Ray scanned their surroundings with a furrowed brow. "The forest is nowhere in sight, nor do we have any indication of its presence."

Zarna offered her encouragement, gently patting Advika on the back. "Give it a try, Adu," she suggested. "If you all believe in it, perhaps it will work."

Nodding, Advika settled herself on the ground, assuming a cross-legged position. She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath to center herself.

In her mind, she called out to Grantha, her thoughts filled with hope and anticipation.

~~~~~~

If you have come till here and been with this story this long, thank you so much! It means a lot to me. Stay tuned for more. 

Until next time. . .