Back to Past

"There were three queens and three kings of the old," said Indra. Advika, Maya, and Zarna exchanged glances.

"King Agneya, his wife Queen Bhilangana. King Bhaumik, his wife Queen Ambar. King Samir, his wife Queen Agrata. Each had a power of the element, as you all do."

"Agneya means fire, Bhilangana symbolizes water, Ambar implies the sky, Samir the air, Bhaumik the earth, and Agrata means to lead. Queen Agrata was the leader of all. Her job was to bind these elements together and protect them collectively."

"So, she was the first protector?" questioned Advika.

"Yes," replied Indra. "Azazel, formerly known as Adrito, was one of the most brilliant children in Indra Nagri. The place where once humans, magic, and all other creatures co-existed peacefully."

"So, what turned him against the kings and queens?" asked Maya.

"The hunger for power," answered Indra and closed his eyes. The image of his wife Tara, and sons Devansh, Daksh, and Danj racing through his mind.

"Queen Agrata somehow knew of Adrito's intentions. He had successfully summoned the black book, twin of the book Shaktigranth. Those books are-"

"We know," said Zarna. "Yeah, we've had quite an experience," added Ray.

Tej's thoughts drifted back to the haunting memory of being consumed by dark forces, causing harm to Advika. His gaze met hers, and he pressed his lips together in remorse. Sensing his inner turmoil, Advika clasped his hand tightly, offering reassurance and understanding, her silent nod conveying forgiveness and support.

"Wait," said Rutuja and turned in her place to look at Ray. "You were successful in summoning the black book? Why would you do that?"

"We were trying to call Grantha," said Zarna. "It was an accident."

"You accidentally called the black book?" questioned Rishi, astonished.

"We're not sure if it was the black book but, it was an evil one for sure," replied Maya. "Why is it such a surprise?"

"It takes a lot to summon such a book," clarified Indra. "According to the legends, it took Azazel many attempts to call the book."

"Maybe the book wanted to show itself," suggested Advika. But regretted it the very moment. "I mean, we did possess some powers-"

"What happened when Queen Agrata found out about Adrito?" Maya changed the topic. "Why did he change his name?"

"The Queen engaged in conversations with his parents, attempted to reason with him, but he clung onto the allure of power, obstinately refusing to relinquish his pursuit of dark magic," explained Indra solemnly. "As per the established laws, his actions left no other recourse. The only outcome was his inevitable execution."

"What!?" said Zarna and Advika at once. "But why? Why not use some memory erasing charm? Why kill?"

"People who practice and master the dark arts are much more powerful than you think," said Indra.

"So, he was murdered? Is he a ghost?" questioned Advika.

"He stopped ageing," replied Indra. "The black book gave him immense power."

"So, he sustains himself by harvesting souls to feed the black book," Maya concluded, her voice tinged with a mix of disbelief and grim realization.

"Yes," said Indra, eyes narrow. "How do you-"

"They broke into our library, and don't know where else-" said Rutuja and glanced at the bright blue sky.

"Our?" said Advika, suppressing the urge to get into a fight. "You don't own it, do you?"