New Moon

Maya sat next to Advika. Zarna followed. "Let's first examine this place and then see how these books can help," said Maya and helped Advika place the bag at one corner.

"Let's just-"

"What brought you here anyway?" asked Ray.

"We read about this woman," began Maya. "She was closely related to these books and the elements."

"What's her name? Who is she?" asked Tej.

The girls exchanged a glance. "That's exactly why we are here," said Zarna. "Yes, we read a book in that library that told us the longitudes and latitudes of this woman-"

"What!?" said Ray. "Come again?"

"Yes, Ray, the location, there was this puzzle sort of thing, it gave a location, which we found. It led us here," said Advika.

"And when did you do all this?" asked Tej and took a few steps in the other direction, inspecting the hut they were trapped in.

Nobody answered. "Let's first find a way out," said Ray a little louder so that even Rutuja heard him. "Then I'll talk to you guys later."

The girls recognized the distress that had overcome Ray, a departure from his usual demeanor. Advika felt a strong urge to have a conversation with him, to assure him and Ray both of their significance in her life. She wanted to convey that pursuing the books and unraveling the mysteries did not diminish the value she placed on their emotions and well-being. However, she also understood that their current state of mind was not conducive to such discussions. The immediate priority was to find a way to escape from their current predicament. She resolved to focus on that objective, hoping that once they were out of danger, she would have an opportunity to address their concerns and strengthen their bond.

~~~~

"Rishi! Rishi!" Daksh said as he shook his body. "Daksh," Rishi woke up with a start and hugged him. Daksh was taken aback. He didn't know how to react. Whether to push him off or to embrace him in return.

Daksh awkwardly patted Rishi's back. "Yeah, I'm fine," was all he could say. "She wasn't Ru," said Rishi. "Indeed," said Daksh. "I knew that the moment I saw her."

"But then why did you follow her?" Rishi questioned, his confusion lingering. Daksh sighed, helping Rishi to his feet. "I wanted to uncover her intentions and discover her true identity."

Rishi pressed further. "So, what did you find in that room?" he inquired, as they made their way towards the grey door.

"Dwelling spirits controlling lifeless bodies," Daksh revealed calmly.

Rishi froze, a chill running down his spine as he stared at Daksh in terror. Daksh placed a reassuring hand on Rishi's shoulder. "But they didn't realize the strength they were up against. Now, let's open this door," he said, encouraging Rishi to proceed.

With a nod, Rishi took a deep breath and turned the doorknob.

~~~~~

Tej took a step forward, instinctively pulling Advika protectively behind him. Ray mirrored the action, guiding Maya and Zarna with him.

Rishi's eyes widened in astonishment as they entered the room, only to have the door swiftly shut behind them.

"What? You guys!?" Rishi exclaimed, his voice laced with surprise.

Inside the room, an unsettling silence settled, amplifying the growing panic within Rishi. There seemed to be no visible means of escape, leaving them trapped.