Uncanny Temple

"What do you mean you missed them?" Daksh blurted, scanning the area before fixing his gaze back on the timid old man. The young boy uncovered his face, revealing a bright complexion with a sharp nose and brown eyes.

"Master Daksh, I tried my best to follow them, but they slipped away," the old man stammered, causing Daksh to clench his teeth, his unkempt hair partially obscuring his vision.

"Ensure you capture them the next time they return. I want them," Daksh ordered, then vanished into thin air.

The old man unlocked the gates of the temple and entered. He walked towards the temple's porch, where an elderly lady leaned on a cane, her back hunched, dressed in a white saree with a Rudraksha mala around her neck.

"Dai Ma," he said, startled.

"Whom were you speaking to?" Dai Ma inquired.

"No one," the old man lied.

"Indra has instructed you to keep a close eye on those who visit this temple, if any," Dai Ma said solemnly. "I will protect the symbol at any cost," the old man assured.

"Very well then, I shall take my leave," Dai Ma said, joining her hands in front of the idol of Lord Shiva.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tej, who was driving the car, glanced at Advika sitting beside him. "What's the matter?" he asked. Advika turned to look at him and let out a sigh.

"I can't wait to go back to the temple, but there's something eerie about it," she said. "Exactly," Tej agreed, making a right turn.

"No, I mean, it feels like it's dangerous to go there again," Advika said, gazing at the blue sky. "It's like someone or something is trying to lure us back."

Tej hit the brakes as they arrived at Advika's home. "Take some rest," he advised. "Don't overthink it."

Advika nodded and stepped out of the car, heading towards her house. She pretended to be engrossed in her phone as she passed a group of guys loitering around the parking area. Once she was out of their sight, she hurriedly made her way to the third floor of the building. She greeted her mom, who was holding a broom, with a smile as the door opened.

"Have you had breakfast?" her mom asked. "Yes, mom," Advika replied. "So, you're not going to college again today?" her mom inquired, while dusting the sofa in the small and cozy living room.

"No," said Advika. "But I'll go tomorrow. Besides, they hardly teach anything useful in college anyway."

"So what are we paying them for?" her mom said, adjusting her round spectacles. "Mom," Advika mumbled before retreating to her bedroom, which she shared with her elder sister, Manasi. She threw herself on the small cot and stared at the ceiling.

"Don't forget to clean your room!" she heard her mom yell from outside.

"I will," she replied and closed her eyes.

Advika lay there for what seemed like hours and finally got up around half-past one. Her eyes landed on the vision board she had hung on the wall opposite her bed, adorned with pictures of a lavish mansion, a sleek Mercedes parked outside it, and an upscale café. She gazed at it and then at her reflection in the mirror.

"Tell me, Advika," she said to herself. "What makes you believe you can achieve these things?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Readers!

Sorry for the short chapter.

How are you finding the story so far?