Chapter 3. Camp and nerves

I like a boy. Like, I really liked a boy. Not a little crush. I didn't just think he was cute. For the first time in my life, I have romantic feelings for someone and now I don't know how to act or what to do.

This is not like me. I always know what to do and what to say but... now? Do I act differently with him than I do others? Do I tell him how I feel? Not to mention, he kissed me on the cheek. Jeez. He made the first move which means the ball is now in my court. Metaphorically speaking that is.

All these questions and thoughts ran through my mind the night he kissed my cheek and the week that followed. I was running on little to no sleep and to say I was not impressing the couches during our first week of practice and scrimmages, would be an understatement. I've spoken with Billy but very little. If I keep this up football camp will have been a waste and any chance of whatever might be with Billy will be lost. I needed help and I needed it NOW.

Billy had just left with his uncle. He's been leaving everyday at 1pm for about 2 hours when our couches and camp counselors give us a break for lunch and free time. Perfect time to get the help I so desperately needed!

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. "The voicemail subscriber you are trying to reach has a voicemail that has not been set up" Crissy's phone barked back at me.

Arggggg. She has got to be kidding me. I needed my sister. Not that she has any experience in relationships but she knows me better than anyone. And visa-vera. Whenever one of us has something on our minds and we need to vent, we go to each other and just talk it out. Somehow, even if we are both juvenile to the dilemma, the two of us are able to manage a solution.

HOW DARE SHE NOT ANSWER MY CALL!

Only one other option and I sooooo did not want to make this call right now.

Ring. "HONEY?! What's wrong? Do I need to come get you? Do you want to come home? What happened? I'm on my way" my Mother answered her phone, frantic and worry apparent in her voice.

I laughed slightly. Despite her overprotective nature I truly love this woman so much.

"Mom, I am fine. You don't always need to assume the worst. Can I not just call my Mother to say hi?" I spoke with some spunk to mask the internal dilemma battling inside of me.

There was silence for a moment and I swear I could hear the smile on her face before she responded. "Well of course you can sweetie. God, you are such a good son, ya know? How did I get so lucky? So... tell me. How is camp? Do you miss me?"

"Are you with Crissy?" It came out of my mouth too quickly.

"Yes, she's right here?..." I could hear the disappointment in her voice, realizing I didn't actually call her to just say hi.

"Can you put her on the phone, pleeeeeaaaasse" I dragged out the please desperate to have the conversation I initially called for.

Crickets.

"Mom? Hello?"

"Just called your Mom to say hi hah? That hurts Christian!" She was being sarcastic but I could tell it stung a little.

"I'm sorry Mom but I really need to talk with her. You know I love you but please. PLEASE mom, put her on"

"What up Bro?" My sister's greeting was both a relief and annoying.

"What are you a frat boy now?" I asked. "What up Bro? What was that?

"It was nice talking to you to Christian. Byyyyye now" my sister retorted.