Chapter 31. Apologies

My parents and I decided it would be best if I just spent the rest of the week home from school. After I returned from the park that day, there was no more hiding what had happened between William and I from them. The moment my Mom saw that both Christopher and I had been crying, I told her everything. When my dad came home that night, we all spoke and they did their best to comfort me and provide some aged wisdom but it did little to help. The image of Christopher crying out for William, and William hunched over in tears as we left the park, was just too much to take.

That following Monday when I did return to school, as expected I was being shunned. Maria and Mike had returned to school and on a good note, her mother's test came back and her cancer was more than treatable. She had caught it early enough. I wished I could tell Maria how happy I was for her but I couldn't. I had to give her the space she needed.

My shunning lasted through the week. I kept my head down and made no attempt to speak with anyone. I knew the drill. I had to make amends with Tyler and Wendy before the student body would consider forgiving my actions. With Tyler, I was more than happy to apologize. I kind of already had but it had to be truly meaningful. Wendy, well I wasn't ready for that.

It was now Friday and I was entering the cafeteria. I noticed Tyler was sitting at the same table he had been the week prior, when the incident happened. He was sitting with a girl I was familiar with. Her name was Stephanie and like Tyler, she kept to herself but was known as a mathematical genius. She was the school's go to person for math tutoring. I never needed tutoring but I knew some of my friends had courted her for her help.

I approached the two and politely asked if I could join them at their table. Since I was being shunned, Stephanie did not respond but Tyler did. Technically, if the shunned attempted an apology, the injured party must be open to it. We never wanted to shun someone indefinitely. It was meant to be a learning lesson.

"S-Sure!" Tyler responded to my request. He seemed nervous, pushing his thick framed glasses to the bridge of his nose. He shuffled his seat over to make room for me to move a seat in.

"Thank you, Tyler. Really. I appreciate it." I gave him a warm smile.

It should be noted that while I am trying to make amends, I am still far from ok. I've just mastered the art of pushing the hurt and pain I was feeling deep down. In my mind, I figured if I did my part to right my wrongs, I would feel better about the whole William breakup.

"Christian, this is Stephanie." Tyler made the introduction.

I looked over to Stephanie who did not look up from her lunch. "It's ok. I know who Stephanie is. It's good to see you Stephanie." I was polite and addressed her knowing she would not reciprocate. Not yet at least.

I turned in my seat to face Tyler. "Listen, Tyler. I know I apologized the day off the incident but I wanted to apologize again. Without the attention of the whole cafeteria and to really express to you how sorry I really am." I paused and took in a deep breath. "There's no excuse for my actions that day. I could give you a sob story about a break up, losing a friend and all the drama that seems to be following me as of late, but it doesn't justify what I did." I was sincere and I think Tyler recognized that.

"I appreciate your apology, Christian." Tyler looked me right in the eyes. "You know I've always looked up to you. I was shocked when I saw how you spoke to the new girl. I didn't mean to get involved but it was you that set the example... that this should be a safe place for students. When I grabbed your shoulder, I was hoping it might help you relax and realize what you were doing." His maturity was prominent in his delivery. His words made me feel even worse for how I spoke to Wendy.

"I'm really sorry, Tyler. It was nothing personal against you." I apologized again. "I don't expect this to fix anything. I know I still have to talk with Wendy. Between you and I, there's a history there and that's a bit more difficult. So please know I didn't come to you thinking I could apologize and things for me would go back to normal. It won't. If there's anything I can do to make it up to you though, please let me know." I extended my hand which he took to shake. He held my hand in his for a moment.