Chapter 41. Left at Camp

It was the night before I was due to move in with William and I just received a call from the Camp that they found my pride football pin. The one William gave me all those years ago. Convinced I had taken it home and they must have been confused, I was in the process of frantically pulling everything out of the luggage I packed, looking for it.

"Jesus Christian! We just packed those." My Mother stepped into my room after hearing the commotion I was making.

"I can't find my pin." I spoke through gritted teeth as I pulled more close out of my luggage.

"Well where did you leave it?" She asked the one question that I clearly didn't have the answer to. I simply looked up at her, giving her the did you really just ask that face. "Right." She responded, sounding defeated. "Well, your father and sister are out with Christopher but if you'd like, I would be happy to take the ride to Westhill with you." She offered.

In a huff, I accepted her offer and grabbed my keys. "I can't believe I left it there. That place!" I spoke aloud but more to myself.

"How is William?" My Mom gleefully made conversation during the ride.

I smiled at his name. "Really good Mom. Really, really good." I spoke the truth. Since I left our soon to be shared apartment a few days ago, I haven't had a chance to see him. We've spoken numerous times a day but he was busy with his internship and trying to finish furnishing our apartment. I offered to help but he insisted he had most of it done.

"We're almost there. You can stay in the car if you want. I still have a key and they said they left it in the employee cabin for me." I told my Mom just as we were pulling up. The sun had just set and the camp was closed for the season so I expected to be alone. I figured I would make a quick run in and out.

"Don't be silly. It's dark out and you want to leave your poor mother alone in the middle of nowhere!" She scolded me.

"It's Long Island, Mom! Not sure there's really a middle of nowhere on this island." I joked with her.

We made our way through the front steel gate and into the lobby. The employees' cabins were the first few sets of cabins in the colorful collection. I had been staying in Cabin 2 so it was a short walk to get to. "Mom, are you coming?" I looked back asking when I noticed she wasn't following. She was busy reading framed articles about the camp hung on the lobby walls.

"You said you'll be quick right? I want to snoop a little. I'll meet you back here." She said with a devilish grin.

Rolling my eyes at my Mothers childish behavior at times, I made my way through the exit door that led to the cabins. Cabin 2 had the same layout as the rest. Unlike the cabin I had stayed in years ago, cabin 2 was bright yellow. I opened the door and beelined right to the small circular table that sat between the little kitchen and living room area. That's where they said they left it. Sitting on the table was a small white envelope with my name on it.

I opened the envelope and immediately recognized the handwriting on the small plain white piece of paper. In gold cursive writing the note said "meet me at our spot." My heart began to race and my stomach did flips. What was going on?

I ran back into the lobby to find my Mother and see what she knew before I went to meet William at the lake... pond. Let's just say our bench. When I entered the lobby my mother was gone. They're all in on this!

My nerves were on the rise as I made my way back out of the lobby and towards our spot. Across the football field tucked in our corner of paradise, I noticed tiny lights had been hung from tree to tree. The sky was clear and the moon shined bright adding to the glow of the hung lights. Fireflies danced in the distance and crickets played their sweet music. In the middle of the magic stood the love of my life looking handsome as ever in linen white slacks and a T to match.