Chapter 16. The fight?

It was the beginning of August four years ago. A thunderstorm had dampened our day at camp and the coaches decided to give us a free day in light of the bad weather. Billy, Steven, James and I had spent the first half of the day in our cabin playing board games and listening to remixes James had on his playlist.

It was Stevens' suggestion we head to the indoor pool for a swing and leave the comfort of our cabin. We hadn't used the indoor pool much since James would complain they used too much chlorine and swore the counselors were trying to kill us. Reluctantly, we all convinced James to tag along leaving the cabin and running through the water falling from the sky.

We had packed our swimsuits and towels in a bag not wanting them to get wet in the rain and figured we'd change in the pool's bathing and locker area. When we arrived, we all shared a small metal bench tucked away in the corner of the locker area to get changed, away from other campers.

Billy had just taken off his shirt when James pointed out a birthmark on his lower back. It was small, about the size of a quarter, but what made it so unique and comment worthy was its shape. It looked like a heart that was floating with it being angled slightly. The heart shape was so precise we didn't think it was real at first. When Billy became embarrassed and assured us it was real, he grabbed a bar of soap from one of the shower stalls and started scrubbing it as hard as he could to prove it. I remember thinking to myself "what a perfect imperfection."

How could I have ever forgotten.

***

I was second guessing myself looking out onto the field with William standing behind me waiting for me to respond. I thought of backing out, trying to think of something to get me out of this situation. I had asked him to meet me here to go over a play he had drafted but couldn't think of one to comment on.

"You have a heart." The words escaped my lips, speaking out into the barren field. I dared not to look at William.

I heard William take a few steps closer to me. He was now standing by my side with his head turned my way. "Thank you?" He questioned amusingly.

"On your lower back. A birthmark." My tone was flat. Emotionless. I turned to look at William in his emerald green eyes. My blue eyes coated with watery tears threatening to break and run down my face.

I would not cry. I could not. I have not shed a tear in almost three years. I refused to let him break me, AGAIN.

William broke eye contact with me and lowered his head. His eyes fixed on the ground as he contemplated his next move.

"Christian." He breathed.

"Don't!" I requested. "Please just don't. Stop pretending. I know. There's no doubt in my mind any longer and I need..." I stopped to catch my breath and felt the first tear trickle down my cheek. CRAP!

"I need you to say it."

"What exactly do you want me to say, Christian?" William asked.

"That you're Billy Thompson." It had been so long since I said his full name aloud. My chest felt heavy and another tear fell.

Caught off guard I found myself being pushed back by William. He had his right hand pressed against my chest and his left forearm rested right below my neck. I felt myself being forced to walk backwards to avoid falling to the ground. The pressure of my back hitting a brick wall snapped me back to reality. Williams' actions had caught me off guard.

"You really want to do this? Again!" William was angry. His eyes were dilated and beads of sweat began to make their escape from the pores on his forehead.