Chapter 40

Third Person POV:

Their feet lightly tap along the overgrown gravel as the day reaches it's peak. The surrounding area is filled with fiery trees and darkened bushes whilst small hills encase the path in secrecy. Armen and Drake are casually talking whilst Grayson is in front, 'looking' at the map, his mind isn't ready for the sudden tap on his shoulder, jolting him to his surroundings.

"I take it the map guy isn't actually doing his job." Mia teases.

Rolling up the parchment he sighs, "Yeah yeah, you got me... all we have to do is keep straight, pass a crossing and soon after that we take a right." he says, peering down at a compass he has clipped to his trousers.

She looks him dead in the eyes, "What's wrong?" he hesitates.

"I- well I could ask you the same thing, you've been awfully quiet up until now." rolling her eyes at the remark she presses on.

"I asked you first."

"As the saying goes 'First the worst, second the best' therefore my question goes first."

Squinting at him she give a slight chuckle, "That doesn't- it doesn't work like that! Where did you get that saying from anyway?"

"It's an old person's saying."

"But I'm older than you-"

"Legally, I'm older than you."

"Time travel doesn't count!" Mia huffs as Grayson gives out a light chuckle, he doesn't want moments like these to pass... but his mind won't allow him to stray away from the topic.

"Is it about Drake?" he questions, making her heart sink for a second before nodding.

"All those memories, all that time that we had fun... it's just gone... I can't accept it being gone." she mumbles.

Grayson looks back at the others, Drake's happily talking like nothing's wrong, "Well..." Mia perks her head up, "This may be your chance, he doesn't seem to be bothering Drake, maybe he'll have a better chance at remembering you." he suggests.

She thinks about it, looking back at the hybrid then to his brother, turning back to Grayson she's smiling, "Sure, but- you should talk to Armen." he looks away, "Something's up between you two and you should talk it out, maybe it'll help." he keeps his gaze away as he starts to fiddle with his empty ring finger, "Please try... as you said: 'This may be your chance'." she says, poorly mimicking his voice.

Rolling his eyes he lets out a hopeful chuckle, "Sure, I'll try." the elf grins and gently claps her hands, they wish each other good luck as the blondes go on their small missions.

The two brothers are talking about magic, mainly on how to keep track of it. Throughout their journey Armen's been slowly regaining some mana, though without proper rest it won't be efficient. As Drake's sentence come to a natural stop, they see Mia approaching and look at her in anticipation as she halts in front of them.

"Hey! Sorry if I interrupted anything, but Drake? Can I talk to you for a bit?" she asks.

Looking at each other Armen gives him a gentle smile, as Drake nods. Despite wanting to stay, the youngest could tell he should leave them be. Looking at the front, he spots Grayson quickly turn away before he could make eye contact. Giving a gentle sigh, Armen heads over as Mia starts chattering away.

The blonde fiddles with his compass as Armen starts to match his pace, neither look at each other as both trying to think of a way to start. Making sure the two behind weren't looking, Armen carefully takes the emerald necklace out of his top, revealing it for the first time since he got it, immediately catching Grayson's attention.