Chapter 67

Markus' POV:

We're hidden behind a bunch of bushes,  there's a lot of conveniently placed foliage around the small village. I see about five or so Empirical guards standing around looking pretty angry at the cultists dressed in casual red clothes. There's a carriage near the entrance with unique patterns weaved around it, seeing it so soon makes my skin crawl, there's a high likelihood that Ferox is still in there, he hates stepping outside into the real world.

I hear the other talk besides me but I pay no attention as I keep scanning for Leon, as much as I hope to talk to him, I don't want him to be here. Maybe he's at home, having a nice rest with his Mum... I doubt it.

I must've missed something as Grayson taps my shoulder. "We're heading down, there's a path that'll hide us more." He's still crouched, his bad leg on the floor. Sure, he's trying to look strong by not using the cane, but it's there for a reason.

I nod and turn back to the town. I do one more scan before we head closer to the edge.  It's not too steep as this whole village is on a steady incline, but it looks pretty muddy. The other three are at the bottom, planning out the route whilst occasionally glancing back at us. Grayson's edging his way down, clinging onto the cane as he occasionally slips, each time he pauses to regain his balance before continuing.

"You coming?"

"Yeah." I bet I'd bash into him, "I'll wait 'till you're down."

He gives me a look before continuing down. Was that worry? What is there to worry about? I'm not made of glass, it's just an edge. Sure, I'm a kid, but isn't it normal for kids to get hurt when bounding down hills and getting their knees stained with grass and-

No, no. Focus, not the place to zone out. I start to plan my route down as I hear a harsh whistle from the side. Instinctively I dip down further. The whistle comes again, quieter as it seems to be coming from a big tree.

"Markus." I recognise that hushed voice.

"Leon?" I ask, getting closer.

"Shh!!" He almost yells as he quickly pulls me into the bushes, "What are you doing here? Why are you with them? How are you alive?"

"I could ask you the same things- I don't really get how I'm alive though, I did lose a lot of blood- but I managed- oh! I tagged along with them to find you- I've wanted to have a chat and I did plan out what to say but honestly I've forgotten most of it but now you're here I'm just glad you're-" before I could ramble on, Leon puts his hand over my mouth as we slide closer to the trunk blocking the village view.

A painfully long silence lasts as sloppy footsteps walk by us, two people are talking a bunch of nonsense, sounds like guard talk. They're clearly not paying much attention to their surroundings as I wasn't talking as quietly as I should have. I don't like that Leon's got his hand on my mouth, way too close for comfort, I can even hear him breath, is he on the verge of hyperventilating? Once they pass I lick Leon's hand to which he retracts in disgust.

"Long story short, I wanted to make sure you're okay." I finish.

Rubbing his hand on the grass, he glares at me, "I tried to kill you and that's what you're focused on?"

"You just hid from a guard."

"What- Markus- urgh. Look, I wanted to warn you: Go back, don't continue with them. Don't come near me or the Empire. If you do, I'll kill you." He's trying to sound threatening, but honestly it's quite solemn.

"You could come with us! It's a lot more chill than the Empire. Plus a new friend, at least I think she's my friend- but Freya has got to be the chillest person I know, you two would get along!"