5.Chase

A text from Della popped up right after I pulled my phone out. I plopped on the couch in front of the TV, which I had turned on for some background sound while I scrolled on my phone.

I replied to her with a 'Hey' and waited for her response. 

When she didn't respond immediately, I asked if she had plans for tomorrow night. She replied by saying she was visiting her cousins with her Mom, followed by another text that said, 'Let's go on a date the day after'

I sent a thumbs-up emoji, although a date was not what I had in mind. I was about to invite her to the party at Lucy's.

Maybe I fancied them making up and getting along too much. I just wanted to be able to hang out with my friends and Della at the same time.

Della seemed to hesitate because she was typing for far too long, then she just ended up sending a heart emoji.

Things got a little too awkward for no reason because, it has been a while since we had a text conversation.

It's funny to think just a few weeks ago we broke up, figuring out we were better off as friends, yet here we are, back to ending our text conversation with a heart emoji. If only I had reached out to her sooner. How was I supposed to know she was waiting for me to make the first move, when she had been indifferent to me? 

With girls...I'll never know.

***

Saturday morning was exhausting. Mom made me rake the leaves off our lawn. I didn't complain, I even took out the trash on time, did some extra chores, and helped Evie and Katy with homework. All in hopes of impressing my Mom to let me go to Lucy's party in her car. No one cool rides a bicycle to a party and I also told Tyler and Kacey I'd give them a ride.

Being the only one with a driver's license at 16 in our friend group meant I had a lot of chauffeuring to do.

Unlike Mom, Dad was cool with me driving his car. Dad believed in early preparation. He thought getting a learning permit at 14 would instill responsible driving habits from the start. He'd often say, "Learn to navigate the roads early, and you'll navigate life with confidence."

I don't how I felt about navigating life just yet but I believe I was navigating the roads just fine. I don't know why Mom had to be soo reluctant to give me her car at times. 

But I couldn't wait until Dad was back from work. He works as a supervisor at Appex motors, A local automotive company. He worked on Saturdays as well, and was usually home at six.

I promised Lucy I'd be there at four to help with the party preparations.

After some time of bugging her, Mom gave me permission to take her car, on one condition; I come home before my curfew.

"You'll also have to stay sober since you're chauffeuring me tonight," Tyler said as I told him all about how I convinced my mom to give me her car. He rode shotgun as usual.

We were on our way to pick up Kacey from her house. "There won't be any alcohol. Everyone will be sober tonight," I told Tyler, remembering Lucy telling me that specifically. 

"You think?" He snorted sarcastically.