17.Lucy

I went over to stand behind her, throwing my arms over her shoulders from behind and pulling her closer for a hug. She laughed heartily, patting a warm hand on my cheek.

"You've read way too many romance novels," I chuckled, glancing at the copy of 'Safe Haven' she was reading.

Mom chuckled softly, putting her book down. "Maybe I have," she admitted, turning her attention fully to me. "But I can also read my children well. Something feels different today. Want to talk about it?"

"There's nothing to tell Mom-Where's Dad?" I quickly asked in hopes of changing the subject.

"He's taking a nap. The conference was successful. It was the hours on the road that tired us both." Mom said with a sigh.

"Well I'm glad you're back." I pecked her cheek in reply and drew my arms to my sides, ready to head to my room.

"Hmm...Did you and Liam throw a party to mourn our absence?" Mom asked cheekily.

My jaw dropped involuntarily. How did she find out?

"It wasn't me. It was Liam's idea!" I quickly said in my defense.

Mom flattened her lips into a thin line. She was probably so disappointed in me."That doesn't make you any less an accomplice. Your dad and I aren't idiots. Mrs. Noel  next door told us all about how there was a party going on. We had asked her to inform us if any suspicious sounds were heard."

Mrs. Noel! We should have known she was spying for Mom and Dad. But I had no heart to be contempt towards. She was just looking out for. She had even given us casseroles for dinner last Sunday.

"Okay, but it was just to keep the house lively you know, to... steer away robbers and potential threats."

"Steer away robbers, huh?" Mom's lips twitched, trying to suppress a smile. "Well, I appreciate the cautiousness, but next time, maybe just stick to a movie night with a few or something small scale? If you had asked permission, we would have allowed. And I'm not that mad because you and your brother have done a good job cleaning the house."

"Liam was the big instigator," I scoffed, hoping to share the blame.

Mom chuckled knowingly. "Dad and I will have a word with him too. Now, off you go. Get freshened up. I'll call you down for dinner."

I peck her on the cheek one more time before stepping back. 

"Oh, and you know what, love?" My mom suddenly said, making me stop in my tracks. "I was able to take this whole week off," she said with a wide smile. It would have excited me if I were twelve, but now I just felt like I was losing a little bit of space and privacy at home.

"Really?" I said, trying to sound enthusiastic for her sake. I'm in quite a mood.

"Hmm. Fall Ball is coming up, isn't it? We can take you shopping for a dress. We could invite Kacey too."

"That would be nice," I smiled at her before stepping back and making my way up the stairs to my room.

My mom adored Kacey, like every parent would. She always emphasized surrounding myself with exceptional people, and Kacey fit that bill. While she wasn't enthusiastic about the boys, she felt Kacey made up for them. 

With my thoughts racing, I walked into my room, closed the door behind me, and sat on the futon at the foot of my bed. I had a lot to get off my chest.

"Hey," I pulled out my phone from the pocket of my pants and texted Kacey, my fingers dancing over the screen with a mix of excitement and anxiety. "I went on a date with Chase."