20.Lucy

The day went by, and I didn't get a reply from Della until the last period. She had flatly replied, "Hi?"

Had she forgotten we were supposed to work on a book report together? Why does she sound so annoyed? I was reading too much into it again. I mustered up the courage to type a reply.

Me: We agreed to work on the book report after school today.

Della: Oh Sorry, I forgot.

I was so annoyed with her reply until a new one chimed in.

Della: I actually stayed at home today. Would you like to come over?

Now that threw me off guard. Della was willing to invite me over to her place after everything.

It's been two years since I have been at her apartment. I'm not even sure if she still lives in the same place. I'm not even sure how to face her. I really didn't want to go to her place. It was too awkward, too daunting. Just too much.

A bitter pill to swallow, but it'll surely cure the headache. Or would it? I wouldn't know if I don't swallow. STOP WITH THE SWALLOWING! AND THE PILLS!

"Lucy, put the phone away. Class is not over until I say so," Ms. Jennings's stern voice startled me. I quickly put the phone away and went back to frantically jotting down the diagrams on the board.

Ms. Jennings had to dismiss us eventually. I had made up my mind by then. Della and I also share a Physics class. Luckily, I had taken good notes of the lesson. Perhaps I can offer the notes as a truce. Why must I offer truces when she's doing nothing? She's inviting you into her home! That's it.

Me: Sure, I'd like to.

Liar.

Della: Okay.

Okay? OKAY? That's all she had to say?

Me: Do you still live in Ridgeway? 

Della: Yes.

Her texts were drier than the Sahara Desert. I can't take back my word, though. Maybe she'll be less daunting in person. I can only hope so.

I recollected myself before heading out of the school. I texted both Kacey and my brother and headed down the road I haven't taken in years. Back in middle school, I've walked to Della's apartment with her plenty of times. And she has been to mine. 

Her apartment complex, Ridgeway, was closer to school than my house, so we'd often race our way there, laughter echoing through the streets.

The memories were now sad and bitter. If only things had happened differently. If only we had stayed friends. It was strange how familiar yet foreign the path had become. I took a deep breath, reminding myself that this was just about a school project, not the weight of two years of unspoken tension.

I climbed up the stairwell to stand in front of her door. I still remember her apartment number. 346A. It was on the second floor. 

The sound of a baby crying threw me off guard. It was coming from her house. A baby? Della didn't have any siblings.

"DELLA!" her mom's voice sounded from inside of the house. "I think Lucy's here, could you answer the door?" She yelled over the crying baby's noises. With footsteps that followed, the doorknob twisted open. I was met with a neutral-faced Della, her long black hair cascading over her shoulders. I had always envied her hair over my short frizzy brown one.

"Hi." I smiled tightly.

The awkwardness hung in the air for a moment before a small smile tugged at the corner of her lips. She gestured inside without a second glance.