X

"So this is what it feels like to have a father."

They're simple but powerful words.

Deruth couldn't contain his emotions as he smiled dearly towards Rok who uttered those words. He patted his head and silently promised himself that he'll fill their memories with warmth and happiness until the day they decided to leave his side.

He looked at Cale, who, in return, looked at him in confusion.

It may take time, but by the time he has to let go of them, he promised himself that he'd never regret anything.

The ceremony went by flawlessly.

One can tell how proud Deruth looked right now. One can tell that he didn't care whether his reputation would be tarnished by the twin's appearance.

Truly, he was a noble man who would go high and low against all odds for his children.

Instead of people looking down on him for his illicit actions, people began to admire him.

He really is benevolent and kind.

**

A month after the banquet, several invitations for the twins were sent to the county. However, Deruth was overprotective of his children and refused every invitation to them.

It's not that he wants them to properly take on the title of a noble; they can freely do whatever they want, but entering the noble settings would make them the target of humiliation.

That's the least that he wanted for them.

"Count."

He raised his head and looked at the tutor he had hired for the twins.

"They're exceptional, My Lord."

Deruth smiled satisfactorily and leaned back, listening to the wonderful report.

"They excel in academics, especially politics and economics. They're good with maths and literature. There is nothing I can teach them. Please send them to the Academy."

Deruth raised his brow and said, "That would be impossible."

If they enter the academy, Deruth won't be able to spend time with them.

He knew that the only time he could be with them was as long as ten years.

"But Milord!"

"I am sorry." he said apologetically, "but I can't send them somewhere I can't reach them."

He'll find greater teachers and instructors, teach them how to protect themselves - he'll do whatever it takes so that they can protect themselves before that.

"Count...", the tutor wanted to protest, but his smile took the better of him.

"Those children will soon leave me..." he spoke. "That's why let me spend what little time I have with them."

Deruth stood up and patted the tutor's shoulder, "I hope you understand."

He left his office and decided to check on the twins. It was bright as the day and warmer than the sun. Beautiful red hair shone brightly with sunshine. They had beautiful warm smiles on their faces and jolly laughter along with a toddler's sweet giggles.

This is the sight.

The sight that Deruth longed to see.

It was this very moment that he wanted to paint on a canvas.