XXXVIII

"Hello, Baby."

An image of his mother stood in front of him. He desperately wanted to save her life. He even struck a deal with the god of death to turn back time and use his body to bring Kim Roksu back to this world.

Yet.

He was given the opportunity to try to protect everything. But he lost it. That was the one person he most wanted to meet.

He looked at the image of his mother. She had a small smile on her face as she looked at him. Rok was standing next to him.

He could not tell if this was a dream or not. Except this time, their dreams have never coincided.

His brother, who was holding his hand, tightened his grip even more.

"Mommy's alright."

They both gazed at her.

"This is your consciousness. I was able to gain some strength to meet you. Mommy's fine, so... please smile for me?"

Cale no longer bothered to hide his emotions. He dashed to her and sobbed in her arms. Rok trailed behind, a soft bitter smile on his face. Their mother got down on her knees and embraced them tightly.

Cale cried out, "Where are you? Why can not we find you?" It was the first time he had ever been open about his emotions. He did not bother hiding his sadness the first time.

He could not mourn for her in his first life.

He could not be unhappy for the sake of his new family.

Cale became aware of his suffering...

They called it "pain." The trauma of losing someone you love.

Cale had long realized that he did not have to continue living his previous life in the same manner. But trauma is difficult to heal, especially when it is something he values and is unavoidable.

"Do not worry, my babies. Mom is fine. We will meet again someday, so live happily and comfortably for me." Jour smiled, "Mom will come to you. Please wait for me."

They both gazed at her sadly.

"Mom's alive and well. So.. live the same way for me... I'll definitely come for you."

"Promise?" It was Rok who asked.

Jour smiled at them and kissed their foreheads. They were both familiar with the sensation of reassurance. Jour was indeed alive. She must be somewhere, regaining her strength. She must be working extremely hard just to meet them in their consciousness.

"Has Mommy ever lied to you?"

They both shook their heads. Jour had never lied to them in his life. She will always tell them the truth. Her Ancient Power must have reacted in order for them to be linked to her.

"Then... please trust mommy once more."

When she said that, she began to vanish into nothing. They are both aware that she must have exhausted all of her abilities. They were holding each other's hands.

They both realised they had a caring mother and a protective father.

They both realized how much they had been loved in this lifetime.

There's nothing holding them back.

They're the ones holding themselves back.

Cale slowly opened his eyes. He gazed at his brother, Rok, who was sleeping soundly beside him.