XXIX

They didn't need to keep their hearts on their sleeves.

The twins sobbed as they rested their chins on their father's shoulders. They both tilted their heads while holding Deruth. Deruth, on the other hand, was already on the floor, soothing the twins.

The void in their hearts was filled with warmth.

Cale looks at his brother, and Rok looks back. Their hands, which had been gripping their father's back, gradually let go as they reached out to hold each other.

Cale: This is it.

Rok: I had no idea it was so easy to be happy.

They exchanged glances. Glances filled with joy.

Rok: Is it alright?

Cale: It's fine.

This Deruth is distinct from the Deruth Cale knew in his previous life, as well as the Deruth Rok knew from the novel. This Deruth is willing to discard all his inhibitions and thoughts, just so long as he keeps them by his side.

He just doesn't want to lose anyone anymore.

The silence was soon broken by Rok's grumbling stomach. Cale snorted and poked fun at his brother, who blushed with embarrassment.

"Wells, sorry... I'm famished," Rok said as he moved away from Deruth but remained on his lap. Cale makes fun of him.

"Should we go eat?"

"Oh... I didn't realize we'd returned to the county."

"Jour came here," Deruth explained.

"Did she? Where is she?"

"She couldn't stay for long, so she left once she realized you were both fine."

The twins scowled. Deruth stood up with a smile. He went to the dining hall, where food was already prepared, with the twins on both arms. Their walk was silent. Deruth was humming while he walked down the hall.

"Dad."

"Hm?"

"Is it alright... to tell you when we're ready?" Cale cautiously asked.

Rok also looked at him.

"It's fine. Even if you don't tell me, that's fine," Deruth replied.

Both of them looked at him. His gaze was filled with fire and resolve.

He's the type of person who puts his heart above all else.

Rok knew that the sense of loss that this man felt must've terrified them the most.

"Remember the day you gave us the decorative knife, Dad?" Rok asked.

Deruth looked at his son and paused for a moment.

"We decided to return it to you..." Rok stared at him.

It had to have been excruciating. The twins were saddened by his sad expression in his eyes.

He must be expecting us to leave.

Rok who has decided to trust his instincts this time, finished his sentence, "We won't try to run away anymore..."

He put forth a lot of effort. The inquiries he posed.

It's understandable, but they can resolve the situation by talking it out.

"We... want to stay," Cale said quietly.

"Even though... I nearly deny your existence?" Deruth inquired.

"It's okay," Rok said bravely, "even though we're not supposed to be here, you came and brought us—giving us a place to call home."

Home. A foreign word that Rok and Cale had felt distant from in their previous lives.

One who acted out in isolation.

One who deserted out of expectations.

"You are the first father I had..." Rok explained.

"And the only father I've ever had." Cale seconded.

It's better to finish last, than never have the courage to start.

Deruth is trying his best to enter and understand the world they're in.

They decided to make the effort and enter the world he's in.

"I..." Deruth sobbed, "I really love you both... Thank you for choosing to stay."

He kissed their temples and continued walking to the dining area.

Deruth's soft smile was immediately registered in the twins' minds. They shared a secret smile before kissing Deruth's cheeks. They just decided to be honest with their feelings toward this man.

Of course, Alver and Adin's appearance ruined their good mood. Violan and Bassen were supposed to be the only ones in the dining hall, so why are they here?!

"You both look hot with that expression," Adin says casually, sipping his tea.

"How are you both?" Alver asked, smiling.

"Why are they here?" Rok inquired. He just remembered calling this bastard his wife and concubine.

Cale: Hyung-nim, here's your wifey and concubine.

Rok: Could you please shut up?

Cale smiled as he looked at him.

"Hyung-nim! Your wife and concubine are here!"

Rok: CALE HENITUSE! YOU DAMN BASTARD!

The atmosphere suddenly went chilly.

"I suppose I'm the concubine," Adin said coldly, staring at Alver, who seemed content with this nonsense. "I'll do my best to take the legal wife's seat," he said, looking at the twins.

Rok: I feel like puking.

Cale: heh... yes, Adin, you can try.

Rok: Mind to stop?

Cale: But it's entertaining.

Rok shook his head.

Deruth's imposing aura made the princes stop. Although it's a game of house, he refused to give his twin's hands to someone.

"They really are adorable..." Adin said and smiled brightly at them.

.

.

Deruth frowned and thought, of course, they're adorable. It only takes two eggs and a sausage to create such adorable little beans!

But he can't say anything inappropriate in front of his adorable children, can he?

He just frowned and resolved never to ask these cretins for assistance again.

TBC

Finally going to Family Bonds and Fluffs!