XXXVI

When an ancient power's master dies, it loses its master.

The ancient powers in the rings given to them chose them to be the new owners.

Deruth wrapped his arms around his children. He had no intention of letting them go. He had no idea how they knew their mother was dead, but if she was, his heart ached tremendously.

She is so desperate to get away from bad people that she sent me the kids five years ago.

He thought it was just another whim, but looking back, the kids were guarding each other as if someone was after them. Their desperate stares and familiar expressions drew him back to the county, despite his initial reluctance.

"It'll be alright," he whispered. "I'm still here. Everything will be alright."

He can't even cry. He can't even mourn. If he does, these children will suffer more. He can't mourn when his children are in distress.

"Everything will be alright."

Rok and Cale wrapped their tiny arms around him. It was tight; it made his heart thump loudly as if it were being squeezed. The immense sadness of the normally cheerful and troublesome children made him unhappy as well.

He traced a soothing silence on their backs as they rested their heads on his shoulders. His tears rolled down his cheeks as he kissed their temples and held them even tighter.

Their complicated situation made it even more difficult to mourn.

He knew they were aware of this, which is why—

They're crying earnestly for the person they love the most.

He cannot stop himself from feeling envious of Jour. In comparison to him, she was an irreplaceable person to them. She was everything to the kids, and neither he nor she could stand it. They want to get away from him as soon as possible.

"Everything will be fine," he said as he embraced them tightly in the rain.

[CALE'S POV]

Cale gazes at his brother, who is thinking deeply. Even though Kim Rok Soo said that he's not expecting anything anymore, he's the kind of person who attaches his heart dearly to the people who love him.

"Hyung."

He stopped when Rok pulled him into an embrace.

"I'm going to find them." listening to him made his heart burn. "And get back at them."

He can't help but embrace his brother and lean on him.

"Uh-uh."

How sad Rok must've been.

They both know how to handle their hearsay, but this moment made them vulnerable. The Thameses are fleeing for their lives while they live in this paradise. The family who taught them and loved them are all fleeing for survival while they remain in this blissful ignorance. This must be the reason why they sent them here to Henituse County.

He felt Rok's embrace get even tighter.

"You... Deruth... this family... we won't lose it, Cale."

Who are you reassuring? Me or yourself?

Cale shook his head and remained silent. The only moment they needed was silence.

"Hyung. We'll be together in all this, alright."

"Of course." His voice was stern and serious.

"You're the last person I'll lose. You're going to live a long, rich, and slacker life with me."