Chapter 74

"Oh, I..."

"I wonder how my lady felt after reading this poem."

Lausanne's words drew everyone's attention to me. Is it because this is my first time attending this meeting? I bit my lower lip. I suppose I should say something since I have the right to do so, but what should I say? I was as romantic as any other young child.

I'm not sure what Lausanne is thinking. I realized that no matter how hard I tried, I would never be able to read her mind. Shouldn't I just tell you what I think if that's the case? I opened my mouth with such determination.

"I was a little afraid."

"What?"

When I responded, everyone gave me a suspicious look. Lausanne, who had been smiling the entire time, now had a slightly surprised expression, as if she had heard an unexpected answer. She then inquired about my opinion as though she were curious.

"What made you think that?"

"Well, this poem is written solely from the perspective of the person who gives love."

Reading this poem reminded me of Daphne's story which is also related to a laurel tree, which I read when I was still Ha Sohee. Apollo coerces Daphne into loving him after falling in love with her as a result of Eros' joke. It was a form of violence in Daphne's eyes. The love that began with Apollo's arrogance ended tragically.

Will it feel beautiful to the recipient of one-sided emotions, even if it is wrapped with pure intentions?

"You don't know how the recipient feels."

Lausanne nodded slowly, as if she understood what I meant.

Although small, I gained confidence in her positive gestures and said, staring at Lausanne.

"As it was expressed as drowning, the giver's expression of love has grown heavy. Since you claimed that Laurel's flower language is immutable, will you be pleased to receive this love?"

"Of course, wouldn't you be?"

The lady next to Lausanne raised her hand slightly to refute my words.

"Of course? Will you be happy if someone you don't love loves you forever?"

The young children were engulfed in thought as I spoke. It appeared as though cold water had been poured over them. Oh, I think I painted the garden of hopes and dreams gray haphazardly. I was just wiggling my hand when Sophia put her hand on my shoulder and said.

"Lady Conler, you have a keen eye for art!"

"Yes?"

Is that a compliment?

I'm a little touched.

"It's probably because you've had a different experience than us, right? Because I grew up immaturely under a strict father and a friendly mother, I thought love was only beautiful and romantic."

What, are you composing an application letter?

I felt kind of bad listening to it. Are you saying that because I didn't receive adequate love as a child, I have a negative opinion of this poem? I could still picture my orphanage friends' faces. Of course, the children were somewhat violent because it was a world of individual battles. However, there were still friends who were considerate of their opponents, such as Astina and Leo.

"Yes, that's right."

"What?"

"I believe Lady Sophia is expressing an outdated viewpoint because the society in which you were raised is limited."