Chapter 81

What are you talking about?

I didn't know if I was supposed to be listening to what I was hearing at the moment. Demimore has a thing for Lausanne? What about Astina, then? Isn't this a setting where you've admired Astina since you were a child? When I looked at him with a look of astonishment, Demimore raised his hands and began to shake it.

"No, no."

"Love is obstructed by birth, I can't help it."

Despite Demimore's denial, Lausanne kept speaking in a melancholy tone. In that unnatural exaggeration, I noticed Lausanne was pulling another prank on him.

Lausanne, if I had met you in my previous life, I would have made you a famous writer......? No, this is a pretty plausible setting. I was thinking about those things when Demimore said something that made me laugh just by listening to them from a distance.

"Until when are you going to say that?"

"Oh, no. Isn't it true?"

"No way!"

Demimore strongly denied whether it was unfair to be misunderstood. When I saw him react like that, I realized why Lausanne kept playing tricks on Demimore. His reaction was so sweet and innocent. It was interesting to see a different side of him. He appears to be acting his age now. So I made a joke as well.

"A strong denial is a strong affirmation."

"Mary!"

Demimore was astounded by my joking attitude. When I saw him turn white like that, I thought he might become transparent and turn into a ghost, so I rushed to fix it.

"Oh, I'm kidding, I'm just kidding,"

"Really, really don't do that."

Demimore's eyes were teary as he begged me not to do that. I apologize for teasing you in that way. I thought Princess Lausanne would be embarrassed if he showed how much he disliked it, but she just looked and smiled. All I could think about was how generous she was.

No, I didn't think we could be this playful.

Maybe I'll go talk to Astina? Another depressing storm blew in.

"Hmm... I see."

Lausanne nodded as if she knew something. Demimore had his head bowed.

"For the first time, Demimore must be grateful to our father."

Lausanne and Demimore escorted me to the palace's main entrance. While Demimore appeared distressed, Lausanne appeared to be extremely excited. They told me to meet up again later and then left, saying Grand Duke Estin would arrive soon.

Grand Duke Estin appeared immediately, as they had said. He appeared more worn out than before, so perhaps his meeting with the emperor took longer than he anticipated. Grand Duke Estin approached me at eye level and asked me a question.

"Yes, Mary. Did you enjoy the salon?"

"Yes, the princess treated me with great kindness."

"Has anybody bothered you?"

I understood why he was asking me this question right away. Estin, the grand duke, is worried that I might have run into Cameron at the palace. I vigorously shook my head. It was a little vague, but I wasn't bullied. Today I'm feeling confident. I didn't cause any more trouble than Grand Duke Estin suspected.

"Yeah, that's a relief."

Grand Duke Estin smiled and stroked my hair, but he still looked skeptical. I was a little upset, but I understood Grand Duke Estin because of the problems I've caused so far.