Dollhouse?

Phoenix

When I wake up the next morning I can't figure out what happened, having slept so deeply after not doing so for so long that I can't figure out what time it is when I wake up. The rain keeps going, the storm raging but inside is quiet. Almost silent save for the music I can hear from Libby's room. The sound of talking and laughing from the two girls creeps in through where my door isn't closed just pushed to.

Rolling over I try to move before the weight on my left side stops me, looking down I see Riv curled up around me and smiling, Holding her gently and keeping her safe the longer she remains there, sleeping peacefully as if she hasn't done so in years. Maybe she hasn't what with how Ari was talking about the past?

Staying there I can feel when she moves, cuddling closer as if reaching for something or someone in her sleep. Her brow furrows for a second before she twitches and bolts upright, running a hand through her hair as she looks around worriedly. Her eyes are shifty and frightened until she notices where she is and turns around, relief blossoming there. "Hey, sorry about that I-"

I hold her gently and sit up as she's done, letting her bow her head and rest it on my shoulder, crying softly for a second as whatever happened in her head spooks her. Looking I can see she's fixating on her wrists, looking for something. "Hey, are you ok? What happened?" She doesn't say anything for a second before I feel her fingers over my arm, the cold feeling reminding me that she's not ok, no matter how she looks. Already knowing what she's found there, besides the scars. "What happened?"

She offers me a semi-tearful smile, "Seems like I should be asking you that, given what the spiderweb means." Her hand is light when it brushes over that tattoo and I shiver, remembering all the times it could be linked to. The one that put me there as well. "Seems we're more of a ruined pair than we thought, even if you're the cleaner one."

I don't understand. Until she turns and moves her hair, showing me the same symbol on the top of her neck above a different one that I can't see since she drops the hand fast enough for me to miss it. "You too? How come?"

"That's a story for another day mi amado. Once we talked about the past." her eyes shade over with secrets and I wait. Hoping she'll explain before I see her looking at when our arms were placed side by side. Her's sport has more ink than mine and for some reason that shocks me. "Yeah, didn't expect that, did you?"

"What happened to you Riv? You almost died. Your sister too. What happened to you?" I keep hold of her when she shivers, not sure how to help her besides asking her. Even if she pulls away. Or pushes. Just wait and hope that she'll explain, "Riv?"

"She hurt me, I thought you could see that Nix. Didn't strike you as blind, or stupid.'' Her attempt at humour doesn't help with the situation but I can't bring myself to act out of anger when I know she's just afraid. Afraid, hurt and alone. "She hurt me and tried to kill me over what happened when you saved me. Thought I was stepping out of the lines she put in my life to make me into something she could never be since she was alone. Alone and hated it but hated us more."

"Us?"

She takes a breath. "My sisters and I. Our old friends. Hunt and Ari. You." She fixes me with a look. "She'd always been unkind. The way she treated us was less than ideal but we had each other and dad. A reason to keep going, to try and pretend that life wasn't falling apart despite knowing it was true. After all, what're a few bad seeds and ugly deeds if the house shines like a place to play? A museum or dollhouse. Somewhere perfect on the outside but hell to live on the inside. Full of secrets, lies, betrayal and hurt. Pain like no one outside of it can ever hope to see since those of us who are damaged hide it from the world around us. Until we find someone we trust. But living in a place like that always leaves a mark even after you've left, no matter how much you want to prove otherwise. It makes you distrustful. Wary. Second guessing and paranoid. It leaves you alone. Alone and you hate it. So you try to fill the loneliness yet it never truly goes away. Just sits there to torment you. Every day."