Phoenix's Lies

Phoenix

The second Siren leaves to talk to the other two girls who had officiated the teams changing over. I sneak a look in Riv's direction to find her talking with Ash in a low voice, eyes darting around with a worried expression. "What prize was she talking about Ash?"

Ash gives her a worried look, the rest of us all still looking tired and breathing heavily but starting to look concerned too. All of us had heard it before but had forgotten in the heat of the moment since Ash had never finished explaining before Siren started the race. All looking around confused.

"I have no idea, but something about its late addition as you lot all pulled up to start has me wary to figure out what it is. I have no idea what the prize is Riv but I dread to find out what."

Seeing Riv's face fall and then blossom into worry, my heart sinks. What is it and why do I get the feeling it's the catalyst for this all falling apart? What is this prize, why does it feel like a trap and that Ivar's behind it? I think it over time and time again but just end up chasing my thoughts in circles.

I look at Riv who glances at Ash again, looking more afraid than before and shaking her head a little. "No please tell me you're wrong. Please tell me you know what this prize is, Ash. Please." I hear her shout through the rain but he just shakes his head. My heart drops.

"No idea Riv, but I dread to find out." He sounds as worried as she does and I can't blame her. But my attention is divided as I can feel the eyes of someone on me. Cold like an ice cube's been dropped down my back. Looking around I can see that it's no one on our side, but the others...the ones we're against... all seem to be watching us. All of us.

I can't locate Ivar but I can see that Connor's eyes are on Mads and Lo where he's standing with her. Jordan's are on my beloved Riv, which gets me angry, but not enough to visibly react. Others also look her way with dark expressions that have me worried. Yet it's none of the above that trouble me the say that explains the chilling feeling still settling between my shoulder blades. Glancing around I still don't see Ivar for a few seconds before my eyes settle on a figure that stands apart from the rest. Tall and with dark eyes I can't make out who they are, peering closer into the darkness I see a lethal smile and dark green eyes that I don't recognise for a second. Until the figure's identity crystallizes.

Ivanova.

What the fuck was she doing here? I know Ivar had brought her the same way Ash did Ari but why keep her around? I could see why she'd have to be with him during the race but keeping her out after? That's what doesn't make sense.

A look at the others confirms that they haven't seen what I have and that worries me, especially when I look back to see both Ivar and Ivanova have vanished, Siren coming our way but without the usual cash prize that gets offered after a race. A sense of unease settles inside when I look to see that none of the people we'd raced against is still here. Something that worries me since according to the rules they're supposed to stay until it can be verified that no side cheated.

"They're gone," I lean toward Riv and whisper the words to her, seeing how she glances away from Ash to give me a puzzled look. I sigh. "Ivar, Ivanova, the people we raced? They're all gone." Her expression flashes between emotions for a second before she looks back to Ash. "They left before the end, why?"

"Because they lost for one." Her tone is biting but it's controlled anger. "They lost and they cheated more than once during the race. They knew the crowd would attest to it so they ran. It'll still be said but if they leave they can change the outcome. Like adding whatever the fuck this mystery prize is and them not being able to prove that the others cheated since it would just be the word of the spectators without the call log evidence."