When It's All Over

Phoenix

Outside it's quiet. Too quiet. Not long after I was dragged out of the room there were short bursts of sound. People running and muffled cries of pain. But that moved past me relatively quickly, stopping once before moving on when I thought I saw Riv's face through the door, Mads with her. But it's gone before I can check for sure. My mind is too muddled to make out details beyond the darkness. I just hope she's ok.

A knock pulls my attention back to the room to see Jordan standing with his arms crossed over his chest across the room by the door. Eyes on me with a grin of humour that makes me sick. "Quiet over there North. Out of comebacks already or just realising you're dying when this is all over."

I sigh, pulling against the ropes already rubbing my wrists raw. "If Ivar wanted me dead I'd be dead by now. I'm not an idiot and I've been told parts of this." Jordan rolls his eyes then and I see more shapes coming closer to the door. People who had taken me from that alleyway and that I knew from talking to Riv. all looked a little worse for wear, several bleeding from what I can only assume are her daggers. Hers or someone else with her. Something that gets my jailor's attention.

"You-what happened?" He looks to where the group all scowl. "She hit all of you? How she was alone and tied up?! She had no weapons. At least she wasn't supposed to." He looks angry and for some reason it has me fighting back a smile. "What happened out there? She's one person?!"

"Try ten." Connor mumbles, eyes skewering me across the room. "She got out and then let the others out. Then we ended up like this. Something the boss won't be too happy about unless we kill the bitch before he gets loose," The hateful glare deepens and I shiver internally. "Why's she so desperate anyway? He's not that special."

Jordan grumbles, eyes half on me. "Childhood infatuation that was never curbed would be my guess but what do I know? She's a bitch like all the others and I had my fun. Maybe you'll get yours too when he's dead.'' Now two pairs of hateful eyes lock on me and I glare. Pulling to get free. "It's no use, you've been doing it for an hour. Just give up."

"And let you win?" I scoff, still trying despite the burning pain in my arms. The others look happy to a point to see that and I wonder why, dread curdling in my stomach faster than I can stop it. "You won't win. None of you will."

Connor looks as though he's about to respond before a noise on the other side of the door takes his attention from the room. Staring into the darkness he curses in Russian before heading out the door where his heavy footsteps vanish. Swallowed by the silence. And leaving the others still here.

The one who I'd seen holding Riv in the other room - Talon I think his name was - glanced between me to where his friend had vanished. "Fan out. Keep watch and you," he looks to Jordan who straightens his posture from a slouch, "Don't kill him. Boss still wants him alive. Not that I know why. If you kill him you're in trouble. You know the parameters and rules, make sure you stay on the right side of them. Clear?"

Nods from everyone in the room, even if some were a little more reluctant than others. The person who had been talking vanished out into the darkness along with everyone else who'd come in before. Leaving me and the other person who'd originally been in the room with me. Though strangely this time he doesn't say a word. Not like last time, mistakenly thinking his words had gotten inside my head enough to shake me.

He still hits me every once in a while. Small pushes, punches or hits that won't do any major damage, since he's not allowed to do that beyond whatever he's already done. It hurts all the same, the different small pains all blending until my whole body aches and I'm wondering how I'm still awake. Just knowing that if I fall asleep that's it. Game over, no respawn. No new life or second chance token.