Warning Shots

River

I keep my eyes on Nix as he reads through the most recent two text messages, seeing how he'd looked up at me with a confused expression for a second when I'd handed it to him, well thrown it. But the more he'd read the more I noticed the change in his expression from confusion to fear. When he finishes and looks up I know he's realised what I have. "I hate to say this but I think you're right Nix. We need to get out of here before he finds us. Or we're both dead."

Putting the phone down he comes over and hugs me gently, letting me feel how badly I'm shaking. I don't understand the first message entirely but the meaning behind it was all too clear. We were on his watch list and he was coming. Is coming. Maybe even already here? I think as I find myself looking around. Out the window at people passing in the street. Terrified that any second now Ivar or one of his men could somehow show up and then it would be all over.

"Ok, look, it's not over yet. Let's go talk to the others. I said I'd pick up the copies of the documents we found at yours. Talk to the others before we start to go mad. Ok?" I shiver and keep looking around, not hearing him. Until he taps my shoulder and I look away from the window to him. "It'll be ok Riv. we'll figure out what to do about this. And what we need to do next."

I sigh, letting go of the tension as much as I can given what I've seen. My phone keeps buzzing and I can see that it lights up and goes dark in a constant cycle for a few minutes. Pointing to it with my eyes Nix nods and goes over to look at it. Picking it up he shows me the screen and I see Ari's name. Under that is Hunt's. Then Ash's. More names and messages underneath, all from friends and people I know and trust. Just text messages Riv. Get it together before you lose it. I chide myself, repeating the words like a mantra as I find my jacket and slip into it, the cool leather making me feel a little stronger. More in control.

"Let's go then, I'd rather not be out after dark with a murderous Russian on my tail out to kill me." I joke as we both look out to see where the sun is already starting to set, painting the sky with soft indigo streaks as the brilliance of the sun fades into darkness. "Can you let Ari know we're coming? I'd rather not have the phone right now. At least until we get there." It keeps buzzing and I can't tell who it is this time since neither of us looks. Not wanting to admit if it's someone we know or someone we're running from. Too afraid to look in case it's another threat. A warning.

We stick to back alleys as we walk over to the Sinclaire house, both Nix and I happier in the darkness and shadows out of sight, regardless of my joke before we left. Despite what I'd asked I find myself wanting to take the phone back where it keeps vibrating in Nix's pocket the longer we walk. The glow of the screen shines and fades as we do. On edge I find myself jumpier than usual as the alleyway cuts behind my house, the snapping of a branch making me jump enough that he puts an arm around my shoulder. The other hand remains linked with mine. I'll be ok. We're ok. It'll all be ok. I keep repeating the words to myself like a mantra but it's hard to believe it is true when it's become a lie so many times. When the words start to lose their meaning.

The snap of another branch has me looking behind us in time to see a dark figure at the opposite end of the alleyway and I stiffen, eyes on the figure as it walks. Slow, deliberate steps echo in the enclosed pathway until I see them step into the light and catch a glimpse of their face. It's not all of it, but enough for me to recognise the cold, dark eyes of Logan Acosta and I feel myself shiver again. Next to me, Nix frowns for a second before I take his hand, pulling us as I start to run. Hearing how Logan's footsteps pick up as well.

Rounding the corner I shrink back and scream when I notice where we've run the wrong way into a back alley with a dead end, Logan's form swallowing the right way as I skid to a stop. Here, standing in a semi-circle I can pick out the forms of Connor, Hawk, Talon, Scar and....Derek.