Arrested

River

The next morning I can't place where we are. The room is big but not the one I've grown used to waking up in. Something that seems at odds with the person I can feel cuddling me. The arms I've grown used to waking up between seem as real as ever. So where did we end up? Mine? Somewhere else?

Opening my eyes slowly I blink to see a bedroom I recognise come into view, but I don't remember how I got there. Blinking slowly to clear the fog from my mind as best I can, I notice Ari's desk to my right with what seems to be a possibly cold mug of coffee sitting on the side nearest me. Sitting up halfway Nix groans in his sleep next to me and I can guess why if the headache I have is an indication of whatever we did last night. Whatever that was. Reaching for the mug it's warmer than I thought it would be, warm enough to drink at least.

"Oh shit that's good," I mumble as I drain down half the coffee and keep my hands around the mug where the rest warms the porcelain. Hearing a noise on the other side of the door I sit up with a start, suddenly noticing the black shirt I have on. Not one of mine. I frown down at myself and look at Nix before I notice I somehow have his shirt on and he's currently shirtless lying half on and half of Ari's bed next to me. Both of us are lying diagonally. "Oh shit what did we do?"

"Nothing bad I promise," Ari's voice over my shoulder has my gaze snapping to hers, seeing her carrying two more mugs of coffee. "Glad to see you up and at least semi-sober this time." I frown, "Oh you two ended up here before I got back last night being all cute and taking up my bed. I couldn't find it in my heart to kick you out so I slept elsewhere. But you were oddly talkative between you. Cute stuff and questions but nothing more. Nothing embarrassing I promise."

"And the shirt?" I ask, looking up and down with a deliberate stare. "How did that happen?" Ari laughs quietly but says nothing. "You aren't going to tell me, are you?"

My friend shrugs, "Nothing for me to share. If he wakes up and remembers it, it's his story to tell you."

I look across to where Nix is sleeping and fight back a laugh, knowing that what Ari says is most likely true. He shifts closer until his head ends up on my lap and then sighs, expression set in a smile. Arms around me as if he's trying to keep me safe. An act that I both appreciate and find cute as hell. Running a hand through his hair repeatedly I turn back to Ari. "What happened?"

"I turned up here to find you two already in here high as kites thinking you'd gone back to his. I tried to tell you otherwise but you two kept being cute and talking to each other in a way that made me feel like I'd intruded." She laughs and I feel a shade of blush cover my cheeks. "It's ok, I get it you two mis realised where you'd gone. Ended up here and then well....couldn't be snapped out of it or convinced otherwise. Took two cups each of lethally strong coffee and me listening to you two talking to each other, and asking me questions, for about four hours before you fell asleep again. I think you were asleep until I came in, woke you up and then had to wait. Not that I minded."

I laugh and snuggle down a little so Nix and I end up curled around one another like cats, Ari having taken away the coffee mug for me and put it downstairs. Now cold and old from, I'm assuming, last night. Closing my eyes to ward off an impending headache I settle back where I'd been and feel Nix cuddle me even closer until we're half lying on top of each other. Sleep dragged me down again despite my wanting to remain awake. Hearing Ari come back I crack open an eye to see her sitting with her knees drawn up by the desk. My hands wrapped around a ceramic blue mug of coffee, looking more alert than I currently feel. "You can go back to sleep if you want Riv. It's early so I can wake you later. You look like you need it."

"Ok, but I might need that coffee when I do. Both of us probably will." I moan shielding my eyes from the light as Nix tugs me closer, mumbling a little with a slight frown. I sigh and rest my head back under his, ear over his heart in the way I know he knows I'm there. Instantly the mumbles quiet and the grip of his arms around me loosen a fraction. "Thanks, Ari, let us know when we need to wake up."