6. High fever

"Pa [1], I need to go back home to get something," Earth told Ja's mother as he placed the washed dishes on the rack.

He was staying over at Fluke's house. After taking a bath and changing into fresh clothes, he had a hearty meal with the family. As it was not the first time he was sleeping over, he didn't find the atmosphere awkward even when he had to eat at the same table as the elders of the family. He had gotten used to it.

"It's already this late. Can't you, go get it tomorrow?" the lady asked looking up at Earth.

"It is kind of urgent." Earth scratched his neck and gave an awkward smile.

"Don't worry Pa, I will go with him," Fluke said keeping the wet mop aside.

"Be careful. It just rained. The road must be muddy." The lady warned. "And come back quick."

"Khrab Pa!" the two young ones made their way out of the house.

Earth's and Fluke's houses were placed back-to-back, sharing a common boundary wall. They had to walk almost half a loop to reach the entrance to each other's houses.

As the duo approached Earth's home, they saw someone lying on the road just in front of the gate.

Fluke protectively pulled Earth behind him before carefully making his way toward the person.

He could see that the person was a young man. His clothes were soaked indicating that the person was caught in the heavy rain earlier that evening.

He carefully poked the young man with his index finger and got no response.

He used some strength and turned the man over to get a closer look at his face.

"Who is this? He doesn't seem like he is from our neighbourhood." Fluke frowned.

"I think I have seen him somewhere," Earth said trying hard to recall where he had met this stranger.

"Looks like he just fainted," Fluke said as he placed his finger beneath the young man's nose.

Fluke lifted his arm to check for a pulse.

"Gosh, he is burning up!" Fluke exclaimed.

"I know, he is P' Kao. Yay Mintra's grandson." Earth said excitedly.

"Yay Mintra?" Fluke was confused.

"Yay Mintra, the one who owns the big mansion around the corner. The one in which no one is living anymore. Don't you remember P' Kao used to play with us when we were younger?"

"Oh! Now I remember. He must have fainted due to the fever, let's bring him inside. I will call P' Ja over to take a look at him."

Earth opened the house and went to help Fluke carry the unconscious Kao into the house.

Fluke pulled out his phone and called his cousin asking him to come over with an emergency kit and a pair of fresh clothes.

By the time Ja arrived, Earth and Fluke had carried Kao into Earth's room.

Seeing his cousin, Fluke briefed him about the whole situation.

Ja was a medical student. He proceeded to provide first aid for Kao after changing him out of his wet clothes.

"He has a high fever," Ja said looking at the thermometer.

"He will need to get a drip. His body is exhausted." Fluke said.

"Fluke, go home and get the required things. Ask Mae if you have any doubts. Make it quick" Ja instructed.

Fluke rushed out to his house.