28. Revenge

“I can’t believe that those guys only got a suspension,” Prem complained. “I was looking forward to seeing them getting expelled from school.”

The group of four were sitting around the concrete table on their school premises, eating their ice cream.

“Me too.” Sammy agreed with Prem. “After all that they had done, the punishment they received seems to be a little too small.”

“Their parents have connections, Sammy.” Earth licked his melting corn ice cream.

“But still, it is too unfair.” Sammy pouted.

They were talking about Kla and his friends. It had been less than three weeks since the incident happened. As per Fluke’s plan, Prem and Fluke managed to catch Kla and his friends one by one and beat them black and blue. The other party wasn’t even able to retaliate and they didn’t know who attacked them.

Earth too did his part and found a large bunch of information on those people. He had handed them over to Fluke, who selectively leaked the information that had the potential to do maximum damage to the group, including his chat histories with girls, the bullying pranks they played on other students, their sexual relationships with teachers of their school and many more.

The matter blew up pretty quickly and the Bureau of Education got directly involved. The teachers who supported those boys and had relations with them lost their jobs. The victims of the pranks were compensated.

The boys’ parents had to apply a lot of pressure on the authorities to save their children’s future.

“It is not just a suspension. They got a major demerit as well.” Fluke scooped up his choco chip ice cream.

“What difference does it make?” Sammy asked.

“It makes a huge difference Sammy,” Fluke said.

Neither Prem nor Sammy understood what Fluke was saying. Seeing his friends confused, Earth explained.

“They are in senior year, Sammy. A suspension and such a big demerit are enough to make sure that you never get into any good university. Even if they go abroad, they can only enter some private university and will have to spend a lot on it.”

“I also heard that their marks are being reviewed because there was evidence pointing that they cheated on most exams and those teachers had turned a blind eye to it,” Fluke added. “Since the Bureau of Education is involved, the school can’t protect them.”
“I suddenly feel good after hearing that.” Sammy smiled widely.

“Fluke.” The group heard someone calling out. They turned and saw Fame coming over to them.

“What is it, Fame?” Fluke asked politely.

Fame suddenly went forward and hugged Fluke’s arm. “Fluke, there is something I want to talk to you privately.”

The other three rolled their eyes at Fame’s coquettish behaviour.

“Sure.” Fluke glanced at his friends and got up “I will be right back.”

The three sent him off with Fame with the biggest plastic smile they could muster.

“She is such a fake bitch.” Sammy glared in the direction Fame dragged Fluke too.

“Yeah. Her acting all sweet and cute makes me want to puke sometimes.” Prem finished his ice cream.

Earth chuckled. “Even you guys are feeling horrible. Think about how Fluke is putting up with her.”

“You are right. Poor Fluke. Why can’t she just leave him alone?” Sammy ranted.

After about ten minutes, Fluke rejoined the group.

“Why didn’t you spend some more time with your girlfriend, Fluke?” Prem asked sarcastically.

Fluke gave him a middle finger.

“Why did she call you over?” Earth questioned.

“It’s nothing. The national dance competition is coming and she is going to be my partner. So, something about that.” Fluke answered dismissively.

“What is so secretive about that?” Sammy eyed him suspiciously.

“I don’t know. Maybe it is because she is uncomfortable around you guys.”

“She is uncomfortable around us? We are uncomfortable around her too.” Sammy fumed.

“Guys, I think you all are a little prejudiced to her. She is not a bad person; she is just spoiled.” Fluke tried to defend.

“Fluke, tell us the truth. Have you really fallen for her?” Prem stood up and looked at Fluke.

“How many times do I have to say – no. I don’t love her. She is not my type.” Fluke felt frustrated.

“Then, why on earth are you defending her?” Sammy glared poisonously at Fluke.

“I am not defending anyone. I am just stating the fact. I have interacted with her and I know her better than you do. That is why I am speaking up.” Fluke replied.

“Okay, okay. Let’s not start a fight here.” Earth became the peacemaker.

“Fluke, let me tell you for the first and last time, if I ever find out that you are in love with her and are dating her, then, it will no longer be your friend.” Prem gathered his things and stomped away.

“Me neither.” Sammy followed Prem.

Fluke buried his face in his palm.

“Fluke, don’t take their words to heart. They can’t bear to leave you no matter what.” Earth consoled Fluke.

“It’s not like I like hanging around with her and ditch you guys.” Fluke was annoyed. “I have already rejected her several times and you know it.”

“I know Flukie.”

“She is a girl and there is a limit to which I can push her away. I can’t humiliate her. She is my dance partner. We have competitions to attend together. My hands are tied here.”

“Fluke, calm down, okay? They just dislike her, especially after what she did to Sammy. That is why they don’t want you to hang out with her.”

“I understand that Earth. I wouldn’t have if I had any other option.”

“Stop being so worked up about it. I am sure they will understand you once their temper cools down and they will surely come around.” Earth patted his shoulders.

The school bell rang indicating the end of the break.

“Let’s go to class for now. I will have a talk with them on this matter.” Earth reassured Fluke.

Fluke reluctantly nodded and got up, gathering his stuff and followed Earth back to their classroom.

“Fluke, can I sleep over at your place tonight?” Earth asked hesitantly.

“Why? Is no one home?” Fluke asked back. Normally Earth wouldn’t sleep over at his place unless his parents are away.

“No. everyone’s home” Earth became fidgety.

“Then? P’ Kao is too busy?” Fluke asked with a teasing smile.

“He is but that is not the reason.” Earth had made it a habit to talk to Kao over the phone every night and his friends started teasing him as soon as they found out. “I have something to talk to you.”

Fluke raised his brows at Earth’s words.