53. Cheerleading

“GO GO JAYHAWKS!” the screams of the cheerleading leading team of the St Nicholas High school, cheering for their team, echoed in the indoor basketball court.

As the home team of the Interschool basketball competition, the Jayhawks were making all the Nicholians [1] proud by getting into the semifinals.

“GO GO JAYLERR!” the cheerleaders cheered loudly for the basketball team captain Jaylerr aka JJ.

Jaylerr didn’t disappoint his fans and he scored a three-pointer making his team lead by a score of seven points from the opponent and solidifying the team’s place into the final round.

The game ended with Team, Jayhawks in the second position in the rank list closely following the team Dynamos from the neighbouring school.

“I can’t believe Jayhawks could only rank second even after having P’ JJ and P’ Kan in the team,” Sammy said handing the bottle of water to Earth who was dead tired from cheering and dancing throughout the game.

“The Dynamos have P’ Pole, on their teams Chubs. He had even qualified for national-level games. You can’t underestimate him.” Prem brought fresh towels for Earth.

Even though he was not a basketball player, Prem knew the game too well to the flaws within their home team.

A red-faced Earth finished the bottle of water and wiped the sweat flowing down his face. His throat was aching from all the screaming he did while cheering and decided not to speak much for the rest of the day.

He settled down on the bleachers listening to Sammy and Prem discussing the last game. He didn’t get involved in the conversation as he was actually clueless about the game.

Having a comparatively weak body, Earth was never much interested in sports, unlike his three best friends. He preferred dancing and singing more. People might call him feminine but he didn’t mind. He wasn’t going to change his likes and dislikes.

“Earth, let’s go get something to eat don’t you have a meeting with the cheerleading team after this?” Sammy asked picking up her bag.

“You guys go get the food, I will go change and come.” Earth bid bye to his friends and headed to the locker room.

He quickly freshened up and changed into a fresh-set of school uniform. He placed his sweaty cheerleading uniform inside his bag, intending to take it back home to wash.

He slung the bag on his shoulder and hurried to the cafeteria. Just as he exited the locker room, he almost bumped into a tall figure. He looked up and recognized the group of basketball players.

“Swadee Khrab, Phi-phi” he respectfully waied. He felt a little scared as he was alone in between the bunch of big seniors.

“Swadee N’ Earth.” Those seniors greeted back.

Earth was taken aback that those people actually knew his name.

“You did a good job cheerleading.” Pond, the vice-captain of JayHawks said with a smile.

Earth smiled back awkwardly. He felt uncomfortable by the way Pond was looking at him.

“N’ Earth, I haven’t seen N’ Fluke with you for a few days. Where is he?” Tal, JJ’s best friend and the only guy in the group who was not part of the basketball team asked.

Earth finally understood how the seniors knew his name – through Fluke. Fluke and JJ were really close. He had often seen the two of them hanging around. If not for the fact that he had seen Fluke flirting with girls, he would have thought that his best friend was actually interested in JJ.

“Fluke’s gone abroad for a wee. He will come back today.” Earth answered shortly.

“Oh” Tal seemed a little disappointed that Fluke wasn’t here.

“N’ Earth, why don’t you join us for lunch?” JJ offered.

Earth stared at the tall older guy whom he knew as his classmate Fame’s elder cousin. They have never interacted with each other. So inviting him for lunch seemed a bit odd to him.

“Thank you for the invitation, phi. But Sammy and Prem are waiting for me in the cafeteria.” He replied politely, excusing himself from the bunch of seniors.

“What took you so long?” Sammy asked as soon as Earth sat down next to her. She and Prem were waiting for Earth to start eating.

“I was stopped by P’ JJ and gang.” Earth pulled the plate closer to him. he was hungry and famished.

“For what?” Prem asked protectively.

“Nothing. I almost bumped into them and stopped by to greet them.” Earth said while gobbling down his food.

The trio finished their food discussing trivial things.

“Are you sure that you don’t want us to wait for you to finish the meeting?” Prem asked Earth as Fluke, who usually accompanied the latter was absent.

“No need. I am not a kid. I know my way back home.” Earth chuckled. Fluke’s protectiveness had been rubbed off onto Prem as well. “I don’t know how long the meeting is going to last and you will get bored.”

“Text me when you get home.” Prem and Sammy bid goodbye to Earth.

Earth walked to the cheerleading club room. He settled down at one corner of the room.

Most of the members were already there. The finals of the Interschool Basketball Competition were in a few days and they would be performing another choreography. They had to try on the new costume and make sure that everything was in place.

Title, the President of the Cheerleading club was a perfectionist so was Mona, the vice president. The duo wouldn’t leave a single leaf unturned when it came to preparing for their performance.

“Listen up everyone” Mona’s voice commanded for attention, quietening the constant murmur in the room. “Our home team Jayhawks have made their place in the finals. What does that mean, Comets [2]?”

“That we are going to the finals with them.” the club members answered in unison.

“Yes, we are going to the finals to cheer our team.” Mona ran her gaze over the room. “This is not just some Basketball competition, but also a cheerleading competition. Unlike the previous days, the cheerleading teams will be extremely competitive during the finals.

So, we need to give our hundred per cent. We must perform the best out of all the cheerleading groups that will perform in the finals. It is our responsibility to keep the best position as the host of the competition.

We shouldn’t let our school down. It is our cheers that would motivate our players to give their best performance. Be it basketball or cheerleading, we should not lose to anyone. Do you agree comets?”

“Khrab/Kha.” The crowd yelled at the top of their lungs.

Mona stepped forward. “Then what do we say, Comets?” she put her hands forward.

Everyone came forward and formed a circle. They placed their hands over each other and started chanting.

“WE ARE THE COMETS
WE ARE ICE AND DUST

WE WILL YELL OUT LOUD
MAKE THE REFEREE DEAF
AND NEVER LET OUR SPIRIT DROP
EVEN WHEN THE SCORE SUCKS.”

[A/N: I have no idea of how cheerleading chants are made, so I borrowed ideas from Pinterest.]

[1] Nicholians- students of St Nicholas High School.

[2] Comets – name of the cheerleading group of St Nicholas