11. Best friends

"Noppakao, this is Poompat Iam-samang, the new transfer student. He will be your roommate and bench mate." The homeroom teacher introduced a skinny boy to the sixteen-year-old Kao who was still in his football practice uniform.

"Khrab. Ma'am" As an aristocratic school, they insisted that students addressed the teachers as Ma'am than Achaan.

The teacher explained that the boy was from an ordinary school and had entered the school with a scholarship. He was good at academics but needed help in other areas like extracurricular activities. She entrusted Kao with the responsibility of helping the boy familiarize himself and adjust to the school as the class representative.

Outside the staff room, the boy followed Kao clumsily almost dropping the multiple bags he was carrying.

"Let me help you." Kao grabbed one of the bags from the boy.

"Up."

"Huh?"

"My name. My name is Up." The boy introduced himself.

"Oh? I'm Kao. Nice to meet you." Kao took his extended hand for a handshake.

A smile bloomed on Up's face.

Suddenly the smiling face of the sixteen-year-old Up changed into the one of twenty-six-year-old Up.

"You let me down, Kao." The smiling face was tear-stained.

BAAM

A truck suddenly crashed into Up and sent his body flying.

Kao woke up with a start, gasping for air.

Earth who was sleeping next to him was stirred awake from the commotion. Rubbing his eyes, he sat up.

"P' Kao, had a nightmare again?" Earth poured Kao a glass of water.

Earth had been sleeping over at Kao's place as Kao was helping him with his preparations for English elocution.

Even after the competition was over, Earth continued to sleep over at Kao's as he was worried about Kao's constant nightmares. He didn't want to leave Kao alone.

It was true that Earth's presence next to him helped Kao relax and go back to sleep.

Kao removed the duvet and went to the washroom.

Locking the washroom door behind him, Kao splashed water over his face. His shirtless body was now covered in sweat.

Looking at his own reflection on the Kao took deep breaths to calm himself. He had to compose himself. He didn't want Earth to worry about him.

Earth was waiting anxiously in the bed. He was worried about Kao, even though he had long gotten used to this situation.

Kao had nightmares almost every night. The lack of quality sleep was starting to affect Kao's health as well. He came out of the washroom wiping his face dry.

"Go back to sleep. You need to go to school tomorrow." Kao said to Earth who was waiting for him.

He got on the bed and covered himself, with Earth cuddling with him on his left side. Earth was his human bolster. His soft and tiny body fit right into Kao's arms. He inhaled Earth's soothing scent and relaxed a bit. Closing his eyes his thoughts went back to Up.

Kao and Up had been best friends since high school. They were inseparable.

Up was not wrong when he claimed that he was Kao's shadow. He literally was. There was no secret about Kao that Up didn't know. What he liked, what he disliked, what were his phobias, what he liked to do in his free time, etc etc.

He knew Kao like the back of his palm. Even better than Kao knew about himself.

This was also the reason why Kao hired Up as his secretary and Right-hand man when he started his own company with his cousin Ohm.

He had been the most trusted person to Kao. Kao used to think that it was the same for Up as well.

Kao was shattered when he got to know that the one who backstabbed him was none other than his best friend.

The more shocking news to Kao was that the person whom Up had loved since their high school days was him.

Kao had always known that Up was into men. Kao had never judged him nor let the latter's sexuality affect their friendship. Even when other boys in his class used to make fun of Up or pass judgmental remarks, Kao disregarded all of that and kept their friendship as a priority. He had done his best to prevent Up from getting bullied due to his sexuality. He even got into fights with those people who tried to hurt Up back in high school.

He never thought that Up saw him as more than just a friend and harboured other intentions towards him. Kao never noticed this. It would be more appropriate to say that he never interpreted Up's attitude towards him as love. By the time he finally realized everything, Up's love had already turned into an obsession.

The relationship that Kao cherished as friendship was something else from Up's point of view. That became the reason behind the betrayal of their ten-year-old friendship.

Kao shook his head trying not to think of Up. It was all in the past. A past that he didn't want to remember.

Often when he saw Earth and Fluke interact with each other, it made him think of Up.

Kao knew that what Earth and Fluke had was different from what he had with Up. Those two were literally soulmates. Twins born from different wombs.

Than just friends, Earth and Fluke were like brothers who bickered over the smallest thing but loved and supported each other in every stage of life.

Ever since Fluke had revealed that he knew about Kao's feelings for Earth, he would often tease Kao by hugging Earth in front of him or simply flirting with Earth. Most of the time Earth would smack him, brush him away or just let him be.

Anyhow, these actions resulted in the development of a deeper bond between Kao and Earth. Fluke became the only person in front of whom he didn't have to hide his affection for Earth.

Introverted as he is, Kao had always shied away from expressing his feelings for Earth. Fluke was the only person who encouraged him to do otherwise.

Fluke became the captain of the KaoEarth ship even without his knowledge. He would do anything and everything to make Kao spend his time with Earth.

It was his idea to have Kao help Earth with his English. He had even suggested watching Hollywood movies together so that the two could learn together. Sleepovers were obviously his idea as well.

Kao could still remember that cunning smile Fluke had on his face when he had convinced Earth to follow his idea. Kao didn't know if he should thank Fluke or kick him in the ass for being nosy.

Poor Earth had no idea that he was being pushed like a sheep to be butchered by his best friend. He followed the arrangement obediently and made full use of the opportunity to learn English from Kao.