16. Background check

"Missing your best friend, aren't you?" Fluke stood next to Kao who was looking at two high schoolers who were talking and laughing together. "Or those memories with him?"

"I don't understand what you are talking about Fluke." Kao was confused. He had never told anyone about him and Up, not even to Earth. He was not sure who Fluke was referring to.

"What was his name again? Hmm... Up? Up Poompat right?" Fluke smiled at Kao.

"How did you know about him?" Kao's eyes widened. "Did you get someone to investigate me?"

"Not really. I did it myself." Fluke placed his hands on the handrail supporting his body on them as he looked down from the balcony. "I didn't actually mean to invade your privacy or anything. I just wanted to know why you are here and how long you would be staying around. Call me overprotective, but when it comes to my friends, I won't let anything harm them."

"You could have just asked me directly."

"You would have told me the truth if I did?" Fluke chuckled. "A crude businessman like you would never let others know of your weak points."

"What do you want, Fluke?" Kao asked wryly.

"P' Kao, you don't have to raise your guard like this. I mean no harm." Fluke flashed his sweetest innocent smile. "Since, you said that I should ask you directly, let me ask you a question. How long do you plan to stay here? The problems you had in your company are already solved by your Aa, right? Then isn't it time for you to go back?"

"You want me to leave?"

"No. I want you to stay till we finish our high school and Earth can get into a university in Bangkok so that you can take him along when you go back." Fluke looked at Kao.

"My situation is complicated Fluke. It's not just about the business. I don't think you would understand." Kao sighed.

"That's true. But I can imagine how it would be to see your best friend die right in front of your eyes while trying to save you."

Kao froze for a second hearing Fluke's words.

"If I was in your place and something like that happened to Earth, I don't I would take it any better than you. I might even go mad." Fluke let out an airy chuckle.

Kao was silent.

"Your nightmares should be related to that right? Earth has been worried about you not having a quality sleep."

The elder nodded. "The scene just keeps playing in my mind. No matter how much we fought, he was still my best friend. Maybe if I had treated him better, if I had tried to get to know him as much as he knew me,  I could have prevented the whole disaster."

"You can't say that P' Kao. You are also just a human being. you don't have any special ability to read other's minds." Fluke consoled Kao.

"But you do, don't you? You always seem to know what others are thinking." Kao glanced at the little one standing next to him. "And you know what words to say at the right time."

"That's just psychology and reading body language phi. Nothing big. Anyway, while I was digging into you and your friend did find something interesting. I think you should take a look at it as well." Fluke took out a file from his school bag and handed it to Kao.

Kao doubtfully went through its contents. He was shocked to see the information inside the file.

"How did you find this?" Kao was astonished.

"I am so awesome, Am I not?" Fluke had a smug smile on his face. "While I was collecting information about your friend, something didn't add up to the whole situation and that made me curious. So, I decided to look into it. It was more serious than I thought it would be when I found out."

"Aren't you a little too young to be snooping around with stuff this serious?" Kao was still going through the contents of the file.

"My family is similar to yours's phi. If I don't learn to handle serious stuff, I might make a big fool out of myself." Fluke smirked. "I don't know what you should do after seeing these. But I only have one request, that is, never drag Earth into the whole mess. He is an innocent and sweet guy. I don't want him to get entangled in this web."

"Don't worry Fluke. I will never let anything harm Earth." Kao assured.

"That's good to hear." The duo smiled at each other.

"What are you two talking about?" Earth walked to the balcony with a tray of snacks and drinks. Ever since the day Fluke found out about him having a crush on Kao, Earth was sceptical about Fluke being around Kao. He was worried that his best friend would spill the beans to the elder.

"Nothing. Phi was just talking about his future plans." Fluke helped Earth carry the tray to the coffee table.

"Future plans?" Earth's eyes alternated between Kao and Fluke.

"Yeah. He was saying that he wants to set up a branch of his company in Chiang Mai as well. After all, this is his hometown as well. One shouldn't forget his roots." Fluke explained.

Kao was amazed by Fluke's ability to cook up a story within seconds. He just nodded and played along with Fluke.

"Really, phi?" Earth was excited. "That's a very good decision."

"Nothing is decided Earth. It is only a thought." Kao said.

"Yeah. How will it get decided when the CEO of the company is busy serving meals and cleaning tables." Fluke sneered referring to Kao working as a waiter in Earth's family restaurant.

Earth glared at Fluke.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that? I was just telling the truth." Fluke shrugged. "He has to go back and work if he wants to open a branch."

"Fluke, what are the chances that you will survive if I push you down from the balcony at this moment," Earth whispered with a plastic smile.

"High chances. I won't die so easily," Fluke whispered back with a provocative smile.

"I might need to go back soon." Kao had to do further investigation on the information Fluke had provided for him. He was getting the feeling that things were more complicated than what meets the eye.

Earth's face fell upon hearing Kao. The elder noticed it as well.

"Earth, I will visit you every now and then. We will surely keep in touch unlike before." Kao assured Earth.

"I understand phi." Earth already knew that Kao would have to leave one day. He had just not expected the day to come this quick. A slight sense of disappointment lingered in his mind.

Fluke looked at the two people in front of him and sighed in his heart. He wondered if the distance would challenge their already difficult love story.