Chapter 14

No One's POV

2 years ago

It had been two miserable years since Luffy turned 18. It had been two years since Luffy's brothers were killed by a cop who framed him for his crime. It had been two years since Shanks betrayed Luffy and his brothers for the sake of his own life.

Two years.

While these two years could have broken any other prisoner in that prison, Luffy remained conscious of who he was and what he would do when he got out

While these two years could have broken any other prisoner in that prison, Luffy remained conscious of who he was and what he would do when he got out. He spent most of his days chained to the wall, like a dog kept on a leash, eating the same meals every day, working in every level of Impel Down until his who body was beaten and sore from working in the harshest conditions.

During his times in level 1, or what he's come to know as the Crimson Hell, he was forced to run through the forest which housed the large blood-red kenju trees. These trees branched into blade-like leaves that were shrouded in poison and when cut by these leaves, all that could be felt was indescribable pain that made any grown man scream like a girl. Luffy suffered hundreds of cuts from those trees but he refused to scream, he swallowed every ounce of blood-curdling poison that crept into his immune system as much as he could. However, this wasn't the only horrendous part of this floor; the "grass" below their feet was as sharp as needles and every step Luffy took caused a current of severe pain and a burning sensation as he ran through the forest. Since every prisoner is forced to run through this forest whenever the guards please, the room has been covered in blood which gives this level its very name. However, there was a glimmer of falsified hope in this hell as the center of this level lay a hole that could send the prisoners down to Level 2.  For the people who didn't want to live through the pain of being cut any longer were given the choice of jumping down the hole to Level 2, which is so horrific that nobody is willing to risk their lives for the sake of their skin. Luffy jumped anyways though. Many times. The first time he did, his entire body was cut and the deeper he went down the hole, the deeper the wounds became until he slammed into the floor of Level 2 and was basking in a pool of his own blood.

In Level 2, the Wild Beast Hell lived a vast diversity of wild beasts. The prisoners that had been kept here were forced to be chased by them through the corridors of the level until the prisoners either lose the will to go on and accept their gruesome deaths by being eaten or torn apart alive or refuse to escape even when their cells are unlocked by the guards. The beasts that were here were called the Puzzle Scorpions or the Manticores. Puzzle Scorpions in Luffy's mind were poisonous insects that linked together to form a giant centipede. Big pain in the ass to run from. Manticores were man-eating lions with oddly realistic human faces who will devour their prey entirely, never leaving spares or bones. Upon his encounter with the manticores, Luffy could see that because they had human faces, they were able to speak, but they mainly repeated things that they heard being said and don't really know what it means. Imagine hearing a beast say how he wished he could be "banging his wife" while chasing after you. At least the level had some dark humor even if it was trying to eat you. These beasts were actually tame compared to the two gigantic beasts living on this floor, the Basilisk and, the worst one, the Sphinx.