August, Caleb & Theo *alternate*

A/N - bittersweet one but I'm making my comeback 😛

If August never died....

TW: brief mentions of attempted suicide

~~~

Caleb

"Dad, can you drive any faster?", I turned to the moody fourteen year old in my passenger seat and scoffed, "we're gonna be the last ones there".

"They're not gonna disappear G", I rolled my eyes with a chuckle, "should we stop for food?".

"Dad", she whined and I laughed, she knew I was only teasing, "Beau's gonna eat all of the food, and Uncle Aug".

"I'll kick their asses if they do", I assured her, "I'm the boxer remember?".

"Retired", she snorted, I reached over and shoved her head, "mind my hair".

"Oh please", I placed both hands back on the wheel, knowing it had barely taken me half an hour to braid her hair back into two, "we're here- happy now?". I pulled up outside of August's huge-ass house; the place was his pride and joy if we excluded his wife and kids.

And football. Retired NFL player August Baker was fucking obsessed with the sport, but rightly so I guess.

"Ecstatic", Gianna flashed me a grin and I rolled my eyes, shutting off the engine and climbing out at the same time she did. August had summoned Theo and I for a 'Dad day', so we'd dragged along our respective children too.

It had become a regular thing ever since August had his son Beau 17 years ago, and we'd gone from entertaining one baby to having three teenagers and a preteen between us.

"You took your sweet time", the door opened before either of us could even knock it, Theo's son Aaron on the other side of it watching us expectantly.

How my best friend had ended up with a kid so outspoken, so much shit to chat, at the age of twelve- I'd never know.

"Aww, were you waiting for us by the window?", Gigi teased, stepping inside and messing up his brown hair which he'd inherited from his deadbeat of a mother.

"You wish", he muttered, cheeks flushing slightly, "I was looking to see what was taking so long".

"So you were looking out of the window", Gigi grinned and he rolled his eyes, the pair of them heading off in front of me while I closed the door.

"Look what the cat dragged in!", August jogged down the stairs and laughed, pulling me into a headlock like we were still teenagers, "miss me?".

"I saw you like two days ago", I grumbled, the pair of us entering his open plan kitchen, living room and dining room- his house was fucking massive, "one of my favourite nieces". August's thirteen year old daughter Ava approached me with a grin, wrapping her arms around me in a warm hug.

"Uncle Cubby", we pulled apart and I ran a hand through her blonde hair, "you're late".

"Not you too", I rolled my eyes, making eye contact with her brother over the top of her head, "you're taller than when I last saw you". Beau snorted, slapping a hand on his father's shoulder and shoving Ava's head lightly.

"Maybe you're shrinking", he shrugged, "you are getting old".

"Old my fucking ass", August slapped his son's buzzed head, "we're in our prime". I didn't know about that.

"Your daughter is- is a force of nature", Theo came in from outside with a laugh, "those two bick-bickering will never- never not be funny".

"They're crazy, just like their dads", August ruffled both of our hairs and I groaned, stepping away, "get your asses outside, I need help with the barbecue".