Caleb, Theo & Allison

A/N - first update of the year🥹

Themes surrounding grief throughout❤️

~~~

Caleb

I didn't think I had the ability to feel this nervous.

But apparently I was surprising myself today, because my hands were practically vibrating in my lap as I sat in the driver's seat of my car, waiting for Theo to step outside of his house.

Him and I had agreed to catch up with August's mother Allsion nearly two weeks ago now, and while I could lie and say we were busy, that wasn't the fucking case and we knew it.

Sitting down with the woman we'd seen as a mother figure growing up was nothing short of terrifying, especially knowing the reason we'd come to know her in the first place was no longer with us.

Eight years had passed since August had died, and a lot had changed- it felt like everything had changed; it was weird as fuck, but I think we owed it to him to sit down with Allison, get to know the brother he never had a chance to meet, and accept this closure for ourselves.

I perked up when Theo's front door opened, I could see the anxiousness written all over his face as he neared the car and climbed in, facing me and giving me a nod.

"You just as scared as I am?", I asked, receiving another nod in reply, "am I gonna have the pleasure of hearing your voice today?". I didn't mean it as a jab and he knew that, he just buckled his seatbelt and stayed quiet for a moment.

"This just- just feels weird", he muttered, peering out of his window as I pulled off the sidewalk, "seeing her and not- and not him". I knew what he meant, anytime we'd go to Aug's house, Allison was there- feeding us, giving us pep talks about school, helping me with homework; now she was there, not in the same house we'd grown to love, and he wasn't.

And it fucking sucked.

"I know", I reached over and squeezed his shoulder, returning it to the wheel a second later, "if you don't wanna do this, wanna leave-,".

"I know", he cut me off, a small smile on his face, "her uh, her kid's cute".

"He is", I chuckled, "Aug would've been the most overprotective brother ever".

"Like we're- we're not", he snorted, not lying whatsoever; I wouldn't say I was overprotective over Zane or Scott but my younger siblings?

That was a whole other story.

And Theo felt the same about Gray and Amelia, and as I'd said, August would've been the same if he'd had a chance to meet his little brother Rowan.

~

Parking the car outside of the address Allison had given us made my stomach churn with nerves, I didn't even know why I was so scared. The house was simple looking on the outside, two stories, flowers covering the garden as well as a sprinkler turned on- everything just felt...normal.

"You ready?", I asked Theo as the pair of us unbuckled our seatbelts simultaneously.

"Uh huh", he nodded, climbing out of his side of the car while I followed; I trailed beside him as we approached the front door, my best friend's hands clenching and unclenching before he knocked it three times and looked at me afterwards.

"I feel sick", I muttered and he snorted, tossing an arm around my shoulder.

"Too late for- for that", he said just as the door opened, Allison beaming from the other side.