Chapter one - Endings and beginnings

'Wait! Conan! Don't leave me!' The young boy ran across the street and grabbed his brother's sleeve. 'Please, don't leave. I don't want to be alone!' He cried, as his fingers were forced away.

'Shhh,' His brother told him 'I have to, I don't have a choice in the matter.'

'But you do! Why won't you even tell me why you're leaving? If you really don't have a choice then at least tell me why.' He wiped away his tears.

His brother stopped and turned to face him, 'Okay, You're right, I do have a choice but if I hesitate any longer I won't gain anything. I chose to not have a choice. You just stay with aunt Molly till Mum and dad come back.'

'But I wanna go with you and if they haven't come for us until now, why would they come later...?' His voice faded into a wine as he continued crying.

His big brother hugged him and whispered. 'I'll try to get them to come back so don't cry. I love you, you know I do, so please, don't make this harder than it already is. I only told you 'cause I didn't want it to seem as if I abandoned you. Be a good boy and run along home.' He let go of the boy.

'But...Will I ever see you again?'

His brother hesitated, 'Well... I can't promise you anything, but let's hope we'll meet again in the future, ok?'

His brother just stared at him, half in despair and half in disbelief.

'Well then,' Conan walked backwards 'Goodbye!'

His brother watched as he walked down the street and disappeared around the corner. 'Don't leave me...' He whimpered one last time.

Tears escaped Conans eyes as he tried to decide on his next move. It was my own decision so there's nothing to cry about. He quickly wiped his tears away.

Ok then, let's see... I've no home, no food and basically all my belongings are the clothes I'm wearing. Alright then, where should I start? First of all, I need a job. If I have a job, I get money and with money I'll have food and a home. Wonder where I should search first.

A police car rushed past, the sirens made him cover his ears. Guess I'll check the police first.

The police station was almost in the middle of the district, directly opposite the church.

Conan walked for about an hour until he got there. It's not like I'm in a hurry anyway.

The police station was just like any other 2 story building, the only things that were different, were the police vehicles parked in front of it and the 'West district Police Station' sign.

Conan glanced at the horse tied to a lamppost as he walked by. It had a saddle with 'Police' written on it but Conan had yet to see the police chase someone on horseback. A smile pulled at the corner of his mouth as he imagined it.

He slipped in through the double doors as people came in and out of the busy station. He looked around. This place is too crowded. Where's the reception? They really should put out some signs.

There seemed to be more than one reception table, but all of them were occupied.

At that moment, one of them finished. Conan quickly walked over before anyone else could. 'Er... Excuse me...?'

The policeman put up his finger, signalling for Conan to wait. Once he finished talking on the phone he asked, 'What do ya want?'

Shouldn't he be more polite? 'I-I'm wondering whether there are any... job offers or something like that?'