Chapter thirty six - Post

'Whooo!' Conan shouted into the wind as they sped along the dusty country roads. Then he shut the visor. 'Now you! Shout as loud as you can!'

'You're so loud. Isn't there a way to turn the volume down on this thing?' She was thinking of the device thingy in their helmets which allowed them to speak to each other.

'No~.'

Then yes. She held on slightly tighter as they took a sharp turn. As an empath, Celeste took on the feelings of the people around her, so despite her not quite showing it, she felt just as thrilled and joyful as Conan.

'Oh, I almost forgot to mention Abi's been busy gossiping again.'

'Oh yeah? What about?'

'Nothing important. Anyone who knows you knows it's not true.'

'Wait, about me? Again?'

'Don't worry, I'm pretty sure Zack's her next target.'

'What makes you think that?'

'I get the feeling you'll find out soon enough...'

*

Debi was asleep (on her bed this time) and the evening post had just arrived.

'Hey, there are some letters for you here.' Tina dropped them on Abi's bed, between Abi and Ellie, where Abi was trying to convince her to put on "just a bit" of makeup.

'For me?' Ellie asked as she read the address. 'Why?'

'You're a new member, so I'm guessing one's a greeting, one's got all sorts of official papers in it, and the bulky one'll be the new phone everyone's been excited about.'

She opened the first envelope. Sure enough there was a welcome letter and a card in it. 'What's this?' Ellie examined it.

'It's a card of...' Abi started while chewing gum, 'Well it used to be called a card of residence but since someone pointed out that there are lots of "agents" who don't live here it's sort of a card that proves you're one of us. There are all sorts of discounts and things you can use it for. Also, you get free entry to classes and recreational activities in the building.'

'How is this possible?'

'You mean the pic? Beats me.'

Tina answered instead. 'Nowadays the computers do all the work. Digital storage is really useful, any mention of you in any files is collected and used to create your profile. Then the professionals add the necessary signatures and stamps.'

'But why would I be mentioned in those files?' Her thoughts jumped to her "brother".

'Who knows? Theoretically even the security cameras could have taken the picture.'

'No, I remember when it was taken.'

'When was it taken?' Abi asked curiously.

'Picture day at the orphanage.'

'You're an orphan!?' Abi asked in surprise.

'Don't be so rude.' Tina snapped. 'Sorry.'

'No, it's okay really. I don't have much...' Contact with them? I can't say that! '-I don't remember my parents. And,' she continued as cheerfully as she could, 'since I never knew what a family's like, it doesn't hurt not having one. I don't know what I'm missing out on and I think it's better like this.'

'But there must be times when you long for a family... Like in the family song in Lady and the Tramp two.'

There was a moment of silence and cast down eyes.

Ellie opened the next envelope and emptied it onto the bed to break the ice. There were all sorts of papers, a passport, student ID and plenty of others. I didn't even know all this existed. Like, why do I have a birth certificate? The starter's fifty euro note was there too, her pay for last night. That's a lot.

'Now comes the fun part.' Abi regained the sparkle in her eyes and was waiting for Ellie to open the last envelope.

The sleek black smartphone slipped out along with an instruction manual and a charger.

'Why is everyone excited about them.' Ellie asked, hiding her own excitement. I've never had any of these! And now I've got my own smartphone?!

'Through the years there've been other little bonuses but these are by far the best so far. I mean, we know they're probably a major invasion of our privacy, but no one cares. They're frickin' free phones. Who wouldn't want that?'

'Plus there are lots of useful applications. Like, there have been people who had trouble organising their time, now the program does it for them. And now that the company digitised all the old documents, we can just type up any report on our phones.'

'How do I turn it on?'

'Here.' Tina gently took it and turned it on.

'But let's not forget the games and books and social media! Oh! Can we make an Instagram account for you? And Facebook. And you have to download Viber and WhatsApp.'

There was a knock on the door.

'What time is it?' Tina asked as she put the phone down and got up.

'Quarter to four.' Abi answered as Celeste took her shoes off.

'Well, isn't someone looking good?' She said as she climbed up to her bed.

Ellie just smiled. She's got glasses?

'And she's got a phone too!'

'That's good. I found something I think you'll like, I'll send it.'

'But we've only just turned it on.'

'You can't send it if there's nowhere to send it.'

'There's a company chat thing on all the phones. I already sent it.'

'What? Really? Where?'

'There. It automatically makes groups for group missions and then deletes them afterwards. You could basically find anyone using their codename.'

'Cool!' Abi looked around, searching for her phone. 'I wanna try that!'