Chapter nineteen - The Training Corps

As the grandfather clock in the hall chimed 6, Mary gathered the children saying 'It's time to go home.' but even so she had to have one last 15 minute chat with Walter while the kids tried to survive the boredom of adults talking.

'Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.'

'Don't mention it. Are you really leaving tonight?'

'Yes, the moving van is coming in about an hour and I'll be going after it in my car once I'm ready.'

'Well take care of yourself and have a good journey.'

'You take care of yourself too, and take care of the kiddies too.'

'Of course I will,' she looked around to see them playing tag and whispered, 'but I'm not sure what to do with Ellie. I mean, she can't stay with us, but we can't let her off by herself either, it would be too dangerous. George wants to send her back to the orphanage, but we have no idea where she came from and I don't know of any in the area.' She paused, 'Maybe... Is there a chance that you could drop her off somewhere along your way to the city?'

'Umm...' He rubbed his chin. 'Well... I guess I could...' He said slowly.

'Great!' Mary snapped before he could change his mind. 'I'll just leave her with you then.' She said happily.

'Andy! Sara! Time to go! Ellie, Walter needs some help packing the boxes into the vans so I offered that you'd stay and help.'

She thinks I didn't hear their conversation. Ellie grumbled in her head but cheerfully smiled as she said 'Okay!' Playing dumb is much easier. And anyways what else could I say?

Walter had a disapproving expression as he stared at the ground.

'Goodbye!' Mary walked away with her two children following behind waving.

'Bye!'

'Bye!' Ellie waved back.

'Let's go inside.' Walter suggested Once they were a considerable distance away.

Ellie followed him inside to the living room. I wonder how all this will fit into the vans. If we include the furniture they'll need at least five.

'Biscuit?' He offered. 'No thank you.' Her gaze wandered over to the gap in the curtains (they were closed in all the rooms because of his allergy) where a line of light escaped and illuminated a streak of orange on the floor.

'Well,' Walter began awkwardly. 'I'll need help unloading the vans too... So if you'd like to come along...'

'Sure!' Ellie smiled brightly. 'I'm happy to help. And I was planning on going to the city sometime anyway.'

Walter raised an eyebrow and after a moment returned the smile. 'I'm happy to hear that.'

After that came another few minutes of uncomfortable silence until he offered to unpack an old portable chess set to play with. 'Ok but I don't know how to play chess.'

'Perfect! I'll teach you.'

When the vans arrived Ellie, instead of helping with the boxes, was told to pack away the mugs, plates and remaining biscuits in tin foil and to put away the chess set.

'Where should I put it?' She asked after she had organised the figures and folded it up.

'We'll play with it when we stop for brakes along the way so we'll need it in an easy to reach place. How about you put it in your bag?'

So she put it in her bag.

To her amazement, the movers were able to fit everything into just two vans or rather one and a half to be precise.