Chapter eleven - Phantomhive manor

How much longer do we have to go? How long have we been going?

His eyelids felt heavy as he stared out the window. Jim's droning voice in the background told the story of how Lily and Peter drew their wedding when they were nine.

'We've arrived on Phantomhive grounds.' Nobby called from the front.

We're on Phantomhive ground but how far's the manor? All we've seen are farms and forests.

'Is that it?' Kal asked, pointing to the gates in the distance.

'Yep!'

'Where?' Conan's sleepiness seemed to have evaporated.

'There!'

They watched as the gates grew and grew, until they right in front of them.

Jim then jumped out and opened them, Nobby drove the carriage in and waited for Jim to close the gates and hop up beside him.

Now they could see the manor too. It was a really big building, the walls were white and the roof was blue.

The flowers and bushes in the gigantic garden were all trimmed neatly and in place. Nothing seemed to be out of line.

'Woah.' Conan whispered.

'Wha' kind of a snob are ya? Being impressed by yar own garden?'

'Oh, right! Sorry.'

'Sayin' sorry to a servant? Hah, ya'd be a better comedian than a noble.'

'How dare you say that to me!?'

'I humbly apologize, young mas'er.'

Though his words fit his role, his cheeky smile does not. Conan smiled. Seriously? "Does not"? I hope this poshness passes once I can be me again. Though I'm pretty sure it's just my own imagination as it is.

The carriage stopped in front of the (not long but not short) staircase leading up to the big double doors.

Jim and Nobby opened the door for then and took their bags. 'We'll bring them to your rooms.'

Inside, the place looked even bigger than from the outside. A tall woman was waiting for them. Her hair was tied up in a bun and she was wearing a long dark green dress.

She must've seen or heard the carriage coming.

'It's great to see that you both got here in good health. Please come with me.'

They followed her up one of the rounded staircases and through the hallways.

'Here we are.'

They entered the room and she closed the door behind them. It was a sort of living room, with a fireplace, a bookshelf and a chess table.

'Sit down, please.'

They sat on the couch and the mistress sat on the armchair facing it. Between them stood a rectangular low table.

'So... can we speak freely here.' Kal asked, picking his words carefully.

'Yes, I believe so.'

'Then tell us what our real objective is.'

'Your real objective?'

'Yes. I saw the amount you're paying, and there is no way anyone would pay that much for a simple replacement act.'

'Well... I guess you've got a point... There is one thing we had in mind.' She took a photo from a hidden pocket on her dress. 'This is the Prince family. Lily's death wasn't an accident, it was an assassination meant for Peter. But he got out of it with only a few scratches. As the next heir to the Phantomhives, there's a lot of land at stake. According to more than one source of information, it was the Prince's doing. Your mission is to get rid of them before they get rid of us.'

'They'll be at the ball right?'

She nodded, and looking at Conan added 'You really are a good replica of Peter. He wouldn't have said anything either.'

'Alright, we'll do it. Is there a room near the ballroom that is sound sealed?'

'Well, technically all of them are.'

'Great! Then all we have to do is get them to gather in one room, and get rid of them.'

'Should I get one of the servants to shut the door once everyone's inside.'

'Yeah, that'd be great. Oh, and could I take a knife from the kitchen or something, I didn't bring one.'

'I'll get someone to bring you one.'

'Thanks!' Kal smiled brightly.

'Well, you'd better get some rest. The ball's tomorrow Evening. You know where your rooms are I suppose?'

'Umhum.' Kal nodded.

'This should be Peter's room...' He knocked on the door.

'You shouldn't knock on your own door.' The voice from inside told him.

Oh, right. He went in closing the door behind himself. 'How'd you know it was me?' He asked the boy sitting cross-legged on the double bed.

'It was obvious. None of the servants knock four times. Only Lily did that...'

'Oh... Sorry.'

'Um, well, can't do anything about that. So, you'll be taking my place at the ball?'

'Yeah, that's the plan.' He sat on the other side of the bed.

'What's your real name?'

'Conan.'

'Conan. Is it true you kill for a living?'

'Er... Wha...?!'

'You're here because mother wouldn't let me go to the ball.'

'So you would have gone even though Lily...? Er, no offence.'

'Yeah, I mean I did love her. We've been together for as long as I can remember. But she was more like a sister. I feel guilty that she died when the real target was me...'

'It's not your fault. Don't worry we'll clean up this mess and find you a bride.'

'Well if you say so.'

'If I may ask, what kind of accident was it?' He felt a little uncomfortable speaking so formally but it seemed necessary.

'Our coach crashed, the horses went berserk. She wasn't the only one hurt. Anyway, dinner is at eight today. Have a quick wash and change into those clothes.'

'One last question, do I still have'ta find you a fiancée or would you prefer to do that yourself?'

'I'll do that myself later on. Don't worry about it.'