Chapter eight - The Shooting Range

First floor.

'What exactly am I going to have to do? I mean, the tasks so far have been pretty easy to understand but am I just meant to shoot at targets?'

'Well can you "just shoot at targets"?'

'Er...'

'Have you ever held a gun?'

'No.'

'Then first thing will be a lesson from Joker, he's a range master.'

Joker? Weird name.

'The room before the shooting range is where the gun rentals are. Have any idea what you'd like to try out first?'

'How should I know that if I don't even know what there is?'

'Alright! Then we'll start with something easy... Some sort of handgun...' He walked to the guns under a gigantic sign of "Handguns". 'Pick one!'

'What? Just pick one?'

'They're not loaded so yeah, pick one.'

Conan looked at the firearms and their complicated names. "Glock 17/19 (9mm)" "S&W M&P9 M2.0 (9mm)" "Springfield XD Mod2 (9mm)" "Sig Sauer P320 (9mm)" "S&W Model 686+ (.357)" What the heck do these names even mean?? And what does it matter how many millimeters are written beside it? S&W M&P9 M2.0 looks like an army gun. S&W Model 686+ looks like a cowboy gun. Which should I choose, soldier or cowboy...

'You can try out more than one you know.'

'Then first the soldier gun.'

'The what?'

'This s and w model 686 one.'

'Alright but I get the feeling you're gonna havta learn guns in theory too. It's a revolver. A double action one at that.' He said as he took two guns of the same type.

'And that means...?'

'Revolvers have a revolving cylinder. They can fire more than once without needing to be reloaded'

Conan followed him to the entrance to the range where boxes of earmuffs, ear plugs and goggles stood.

'Can't go in without them.' Kal told him while putting on the goggles. 'Though we won't be able to hear each other so Joker and I will show you what to do.' He smiled.

One of the men behind the counter watched them suspiciously until Kal showed him his card while telling Conan to do the same. Then they were allowed to enter.

I'm sure glad we've got these earmuffs, I can even hear the shots through them. Like all the others, this place is way over the normal size too.

He followed Kal along the long row of shooting spaces.

Are we trying to find Joker now?

Kal pointed to a person with straight, unevenly cut reddish brown hair and mouthed "Joker".

Noticing them, Joker turned around and greeted them with a wave.

From the back I could have sworn he was a girl but from the front I'm quite certain he's a boy. I wonder if Joker is a codename or something. Even his name tag has Joker written on it.

Joker signed something and Kal answered.

Kal learnt sign language!? Does that mean Joker's deaf? But he's got earmuffs...

Kal then gave one of the guns to Joker and one to Conan.

It's heavy!

Joker proceeded to show Conan what to do with the gun. First how to load it. Then he put his hands in different places and nodded or shook his head to show how and where to and not to hold it. Then he flicked the little switch thingy, aimed and pulled the trigger. BANG!!