Chapter Ninity-Seven

━━━━━━━༺ - ༻━━━━━━━

          ━━━━━━━༺ - ༻━━━━━━━

Kamakura

Rickon stared out into the sea, a fearful look in his young eyes. War was on the horizon again, right after he had just witnessed the burial of his brother Robb, his mother, and Grey Wind. Over at the Northern Towers of the castle, he could hear the shrine priestesses making much noise, a custom for when their female sovereign was to give birth.

...During an invasion.

Hokuto was behind him, looking worried, though he was good at hiding it.

"So, those Lannisters want our land now? Greedy little shits."

"They are." Rickon agreed, "...except for Tyrion, Myrcella, and Tommen."

Hokuto said nothing, instead gazing at the sea, where he saw ships approaching. He turned around and placed a firm yet gentle hand on the boy of about ten.

"Stay with the empress. Fuyutsuki is preparing for battle, and he has "reinforcements" on the way."

"No, I want to fight by your side.*

"And lose  your life because you did not have enough training? "

" Death will come for us one day," Rickon said. If I were to die, I would rather  die as a hero than a coward. The Lannisters have already taken my home away; I won't let them take away this place from me, too."

"You are only nine, Yoshiro." Hokuto pressed. "A samurai has skills with a sword, but he is also patient. You aren't some fool who charges towards hot water like... Clegane, are you?"

" I— no, I am not."

"Good. Then, I advise you to stay here and wait. All the skills you see the big boys do will come to you at the right time. Perhaps there is a battle for you to fight in, but it is not this one."

Rickon shook his head, hating that he was being treated like some clueless child. " I'm ready now, Hokuto."

"No, you are not. "

There was something in Hokuto's voice that made Rickon want to believe he was right. Suddenly, a blast of fire came shooting out from one of the Lannister ships and went flying towards them, causing Rickon to let out a scream.

" Duck," Hokuto ordered the man while grabbing Rickon into his arms, dropping to the ground, shielding the young wolf with his arms.

Screams erupted around them as some men got caught in the crossfire. Rickon closed his eyes, ignoring the man's cries and blasts around him.