<13>

The reception took place very smoothly. At least Ishmal thought that because she had tried her best to appear the happy bride she was supposed to be. There was definitely a nervousness lingering at the far end of her heart and mind, but she had masked it by keeping a smile on her face. She knew it was hard. She had never liked to take any situation into her own hands. Ishmal always hid behind her mother in every case so that no attention would fall on her.

She hated when people saw her and wanted to hear her. She didn't know what it was. Perhaps the early death of her father had made her like this. And then the constant meaningful scrutiny and talks of her stepfather did the rest of the work. She went from timid to fearful. However, she knew if she wanted a chance for herself, she needed to doff off her self-made shell. Or else, this guy would walk over her and put all the blame of being a bad woman for not saving this marriage on her. She would come across as a disloyal and terrible girl while he would appear as a hero.

How much of a selfish and wicked person Haider was? He only cared for what he wanted. Without giving a mind to what twisted image would be presented to the world regarding Ishmal. In the contract she signed, there was no such condition. Ishmal suddenly felt a strong surge of hate for him.

She knew it was difficult but she wouldn't sit back now. In all her life, she never fought back but here she wouldn't bear her loss inflicted by some stranger.

That night, after the reception ended and they reached back home, Haider had not come into the bedroom. He had dropped her at home and left afterward. She didn't know where he was; not that she cared as well.

Ishmal after changing into a simple night wear slipped under the covers on the bed. She just couldn't wait for Haider to come and then decide her place of sleep. She rolled her eyes at this thought. What had happened with her life?

She was just a simple girl, having no dreams or aspirations for herself. Her life was motiveless. Painting was her hobby and something which she always loved to do. Other than that, Ishmal couldn't remember she had any favorite thing. How bland everything was and now all of a sudden, it was action and drama all around.

Looking at the bed made her remember his behavior from last night. It made her hesitate and caused all her self-made confidence to fall down. What if he would again act the same with her? But she wouldn't just accept the defeat now when they both were on the same level.

Taking a deep breath, Ishmal laid down on the bed, draping her dupatta all over her body followed by the duvet. She had been doing this for a while because of her fear of her father. At night, she always found herself vulnerable and weak. Perhaps that was the reason why she didn't react back to what Haider said last night.

Closing her eyes, a film of what had happened in all this while moved in front of them. She didn't know what her future held for her. She wanted to see her mother again. She didn't know how she would be doing. Without caring for anything, she should have thought about her before fleeing away. But what could be done now? She didn't even know what would she be doing after this guy divorced her. She recalled when he offered her this agreement, she didn't like the idea and wanted to go away but he threatened her with his position as a police inspector. He was selfish for only caring about his need for a wife.

Soon the feeling of tiredness overpowered her racing mind. The sleep welcomed her like a soothing effect which she needed the most right now.

               ____________________

Opposite to the barat ceremony, in their reception, Nisha had come. And it wasn't without any invitation. His mother had invited her for both the functions but Nisha only attended the one due to some personal reasons. Maybe seeing Haider finally himself choosing a girl for himself had made Aqia believe that he had moved on. And with this, she wanted to restore her relationship with Nisha as well as it was before.