<37>

•••|Two Weeks LATER |••

That night Ishmal was feeding dinner to her mother. Farah's condition had gotten much better but she still had some of the capacities of the left side of her body functioning not properly. She yet needed to get help to perform some of the everyday important things. However, she was healing well. And Ishmal was the one doing that. It had been a while since she was back from Haider's place and her stepfather got arrested. Since then, her brothers couldn't return to them. Ishmal knew that was the only reason for her mother's sudden decline in health.

Calling Haider also didn't do anything. He neither contacted her back nor acted upon her request. She couldn't understand the reason for his sudden favors over her. He shouldn't be caring for her after their separation but he was deliberately coming into her life again and again indirectly.

"Have dinner, Ammi," she said, sitting on the edge of the bed.

Farah's swollen eyes took in the sight of her. All of this happened because she had misjudged someone vile like Abid to get married again. Ishmal made a morsel and pulled it towards her mouth. A tear fell on Farah's cheek which clenched her heart. Ishmal left everything and held her hands.

Ishmal swallowed hard. "I am sorry for everything. It's all happening due to me. I asked him to release Uncle again but he isn't agreeing. I don't know why. Maybe because he is a good policeman. Now the only solution is that you disown me. Show it in front of everyone that you don't believe in me anymore. By this way, you can perhaps meet..."

Farah shook her head. "Don't... don't make me feel more guilty Ishmal. I am all.. already very embarrassed. If it's in my fate then I will again my sons. I don't want to become the culprit of your lost happiness again. F...first it wasn't in my domain now it is."

Ishmal's eyes blubbered with tears as she cupped her face. "I am not worth of such a thing, Ammi. They are your sons. They will be getting rid of both of their parents because of me. I lost my father and I know the pain."

Farah hugged her by her right arm which was still working. "D... don't say that again. You are precious t...to me above every other relation."

Farah kissed her forehead and Ishmal swallowed back the upcoming tears to show herself strong for her mother. She was sacrificing so much for her. They were interrupted when the doorbell rang.

"Who came at this time?" Ishmal murmured to herself and exchanged a look with her mother.

Knowing that someone else would open the gate anyway, she continued feeding the small bites to her mother. However, when some unfamiliar noises got louder, they had to get attentive towards it again. Ishmal squeezed Farah's hand before making her way out.

As she reached the hallway, she found both her brothers looking very terrified from their faces and appearances. Her grandfather was the one who opened the gate perhaps and was now asking them what were they doing here so late in the night.

"Some policemen came a while ago to Dado's place. They forcefully took us away and made us sit in their mobile and then dropped us here," Ayyan explained as his forehead was shining because of the sweat.

"We were so scared. We wanted to meet Ammi but Dado and Dada didn't allow us. We cried and did everything in our hands to make them understand but they scolded and even hit us." Ibad continued the story. His condition also didn't look any different than his brother's.

Farah's father hugged the boys as a sigh of mitigation hit him seeing his grandson's back.

"Ibad, Ayyan..." Ishmal whispered, still not sure that whether this was a dream or reality.