<64>

"Are you angry, Haider Bhai?" Unaiza asked, feeling hurt by his dry behavior.

Haider spared her a brief glance. "Why would I be angry at you, Gurya?"

"Then why did you not ask me to make tea for you and even you aren't letting me take over now as well?" She said.

Haider poured the tea into the cup slowly. "It was almost done. Then why bothering you for it?"

Unaiza sighed sadly. "Is Ishmal Bhabi alright?"

He just nodded his head without giving any reply. Picking the cup, he approached the kitchen table and reclined on the chair. Unaiza followed him and became worried at his straightforward demeanor. She recalled that he was saying last night that he would live separately with Ishmal now. Did he still stand by the same decision?

Unaiza bit her lower lip frantically. "I don't know what happened all of a sudden. Everything was going so well. Aqia Mama had become so loving with Bhabi. Do you get to know who that guy..."

"Whoever he was, he will be in my paws very soon." He interrupted her and gave a pointed look.  "And it will be surely his worst nightmare. He and the one who is behind all this; for that person as well."

Unaiza corrected her glasses. "Are you really going to leave us?"

Haider took a small sip. "Who said I am going to leave you, Gurya?"

"But you said you will leave the house with Bhabi," Unaiza argued.

Haider wiggled his eyebrows. "There's a difference between leaving the house and leaving the family. I am just doing the former. You all are still very close to my heart."

"But why the need?" Unaiza wanted to find any way to stop him.

Haider twisted the handle of the cup with his fingers. "There is a need that's why I am doing it."

"I know how you are feeling, Haider Bhai. Maybe that's not what I should be saying at my age and importance in this house but believe me, Aqia Mama's last night reaction was very impulsive and momentarily. You know she couldn't sleep for the whole night because of what happened. When she realized and connected the dots in a very calm state of mind, she regretted it. She wanted to come to you, to Bhabi but she couldn't get the courage to do so. I am sure everything will be fine as it was before," Unaiza spoke.

One side of Haider's lip curled up in a smile. "Nothing will get fine, Unaiza. I have made up my decision. Don't worry; I will always remain in touch with my Gurya." He smiled and patted her head.

Haider had gone but Unaiza just kept on blankly staring into the void. What had just happened? Why there happy and prosperous family was getting broken apart?

                  _____________________

When Haider came back into the room, he found Ishmal standing near the window; looking out through it. She had wrapped her both arms around her chest. Wearing the same dress from last night but cladded in a black shawl, she looked tiny and innocent to him. Her golden hair was all over the place, falling over her shoulders and back.

A tear dropped from her eye and got absorbed in the skin of her cheek gazing at the blazing sun, indicating the fresh morning. How many days did she have to wake up with the new accusations and fears? At first, Abid feared that he would snatch away her dignity. At every moment, this anxiety never left her side. Then it got replaced by another humiliation that she was a girl who ran away from her house. How many statements did she hear all the way from her character to her upbringing? The spoken abuse never lessened, it just increased.