<35>

••| 10 Days Later |••

The sky was covered with grey clouds and it was raining heavily. Even in the afternoon, it was giving dark and night vibes. Every once in a while, the thundering and lightning were occurring, causing a chill of fear down everyone's spine.

Ishmal was sitting near the window. She had opened its mirrors and the small shower of water was coming inside, making it seem so delightful as it teased her face and body. A canvas was placed before her as she sat on the chair. She was painting a picture of the beautiful sky and pouring rain which she was seeing right now. Skillfully, she had hidden her paper of craft from the water by putting curtains on both sides.

Art gave her a solace and comfort. It was more like her companion. A friend whom she used to tell stories.

She had come to her grandparents' house the next day Abid's parents came, with her mother. The man neither let Farah live there and nor send her sons back. He strictly wanted his son out of prison. It was revealed later on that Ibad who was closer to his father had called them to tell them everything that happened. Farah was helpless for the love of her children. So despite not wanting Abid back for Ishmal's sake, she allowed her to reach the police station. But when she did, she didn't see Haider. Nothing happened and her request was turned off. Abid was still in prison.

Seeing her mother crying every night in remembrance of her sons made her heart clench. She unknowingly became a reason for their misery. If only she could find a way to correct everything.

The rain became heavy hence Ishmal had to close the window. She glanced at her canvas and smiled. It was looking beautiful. A girl was stuck in the rain in a forest without any umbrella by her side. She was helpless and had nothing with her. Maybe she was Ishmal herself. She was stuck in between so many things. Heart, relationships, fear, and happiness.

She stood up. It was lunchtime and she needed to cook. As she turned around, her eyes caught the attention of the same red box on the dressing table. She had brought this ring with her here. She didn't know what to do with it. Its sight always made her feel unusual. Like it was telling a story, a truth, and a revelation. Something which was meant for her. Something which was deeper.

She reached out for it and unfastened the lid. The gold ring was again before her eyes. That was something that Haider gave to her. The first and only thing. The only mark of her life with him. She couldn't dare to leave it. Something which always made her remember him again and again.

Ishmal took the ring out and tried to slide it on her finger. And when it perfectly slipped in her ring finger, her jaw dropped. That was totally her size and it seemed like been purchased with her in mind. She didn't know what was the impulse but she kept it in her hand. She wanted to see it every time with her.

"Does anyone ever tell you that you are extremely gorgeous?" His husky voice reverberated in her mind.

"To the hell with that contract. I damn care about it. All I know is that you are my wife."

She exhaled a deep breath. What was happening to her? She was stuck in this destruction and mess. Her heart couldn't stop beating for him and all she had on her mind the whole day was him.

And Ishmal knew she had no way out of this madness.

                 ____________________

Haider was driving back to Lahore this evening after getting done with his case. And the result was satisfying for him at least. But there was a havoc around him. He had managed to arrest the son of that influential MNA who had run over his car over the innocent women and caused their deaths. Since then, he had been gaining bribing which soon changed into threats. However, he didn't care. That was what his job and oath required.