<16>

Haider couldn't sleep in such a situation like this. His brain was on the verge of bursting right now. And for the first time, he felt anger for himself. He was already bitten by the same thing and yet he was again developing that soft corner for a woman. But perhaps his heart and body weren't listening to him. His manly ego which was getting foolishly hurt just because she wasn't responding to him as every other girl out there did. She was unresponsive and here, Haider was even finding her scent and sense on something which was solely his.

Resentment flew through his every vein and then he left the bed. Grabbing a pack of cigarettes and shoving the lighter inside his sweatpants' pocket, he stood up. His eyes momentarily locked on Ishmal who was sleeping so soundly. Right now, the duvet was lying on her stomach; her neck and upper body were uncovered something which she never did in her awakened state.

She hadn't shown any reaction to him ever. She also never talked to him directly. Sometimes she didnt even answer what he said, the thing which he hated. For her, Haider was maybe just someone with whom she did that contract and nothing else. But the ego in him wanted her to appear affected by him. It was a war of ego where Haider ever became bitter from women who liked to appear stronger and bigger than them. He always thought this would be the case. If any girl would enter into his life, this was what he would do. He would act so badly with them that would satisfy his hurt pride.

However, that wasn't what happening right now. It was indeed a hurt to his ego but it was something. It wasn't a wish to show domination and loathe for women, it was the thought of why Ishmal wasn't reacting to him as everyone else did. She feared him but at the same time, knew how to take a stand for herself in front of him because of the lead that the contract between them gave her. Ishmal never showed that desperation and emotions for him which he found every other girl giving him.

Haider clenched his jaw and then left for the terrace. After whiffing the cigarettes for the amount his mind needed to become calm, he came back into the room. He again looked at Ishmal who unlike before, wasn't dozing calmly that time. Because of the amount of force he had used to shut the door of the terrace, it wasn't odd to see that her sleep got ruined. She was sitting up, staring out at him blankly because her mind was still not fully awakened. The duvet made a pool on her lap and her every beautiful curve was visible right now.

Sleepy eyes having a tinge of pink in their whites, perplexed expressions, plump pink lips, and an attractive figure, it wasn't wrong to say that Haider had reached a final point regarding his life with Ishmal right now. And this fact was too humiliating for him to even think about.

He began desiring her. The need for her had risen in him. Her presence had evoked those raw feelings in him. But how could he get defeated like this? Beaten by the self-made vow he made to himself many years ago. This couldn't happen.

Ishmal scrunched her nose when a strong odor of cigarette hit her nostrils. Did Haider again smoke? The look of his red eyes made every bit of sleep rub off from her own. Was he again going to embarrass her like he did on their wedding night? 

But Haider painfully diverted his attention from her and went towards the bed again. This wasn't right and he wouldn't allow any other woman to belittle him again like happened seven years ago. 

                 _______________________

This morning marked the tenth day since their marriage. The show was going perfectly. Ishmal is portrayed to be a doting wife while Haider's behavior also never lets anyone to suspect anything. They were seemed pleased with one another in front of the whole world and their family was happy to see them happy. While in the privacy of their room, they were just strangers.