Chapter 30

I wake up, greeted by the gentle warmth of sunrays kissing my face

I wake up, greeted by the gentle warmth of sunrays kissing my face. Turning around, I'm met with a serene sight – my husband, sleeping peacefully like a baby. The morning light paints a soft glow, and in that moment, he's the most beautiful masterpiece I could wake up to.

I steal a moment to appreciate the artistry of Asher's sleeping face – the gentle rise and fall of his chest, the tousled mess of his hair, and the soft snores that create a comforting soundtrack. I reach over and gently move a few unruly strands of hair from Asher's forehead.

As I attempt to slip out of bed, Asher stirs in his sleep, sensing my quiet escape plan. Before I can make a clean getaway, he instinctively pulls me closer, wrapping his arms around me in a gentle yet possessive embrace.

Feeling Asher's breath on my neck, my heart skips a beat. In the quiet morning, my mind wanders back to the night, to the nightmare that jolted me awake. Surprisingly, it wasn't the usual panic; instead, Asher's reassuring words served as a balm. It's a revelation – a departure from the usual reliance on pills. In his arms, I found a different kind of remedy, and the realization leaves me both surprised and comforted.

Asher, still half-asleep, turns me around and whispers a raspy "Good morning." His morning voice sends a delightful shiver down my spine. I can't help but love Asher's morning voice. There's a raw, unfiltered quality to it that's both endearing and somehow intimate.

I reply with a half-asleep grin, "Good morning to you too, Mr. Raspy Voice. You should consider doing morning radio." Asher smirks, his morning eyes still heavy with sleep. "Radio, huh? Maybe I'll consider it if they allow me to host it from bed," he teases, and I can't help but chuckle. Asher becomes serious and asks, "Are you okay?" Caught off guard, I dodge the question with a whispered, "I'm fine," and slip out of bed.

As I'm about to disappear into the bathroom, Asher's words pull me back. "Open up to me, Addy. I'm trying to give us a chance," he urges, his eyes earnest. The plea, "Let me in, Blue," hangs in the air, a request laced with vulnerability. I take a deep breath, meeting Asher's gaze. "I'll try, Asher. I promise."

**************************************

In the week since our heart-to-heart in the farmhouse, our relationship has found a new cadence. Asher, the newfound chauffeur, drops me off at the office every morning, a small gesture that brings a sense of togetherness. Evenings unfold with the aroma of him playing chef, turning dinner into a shared ritual.

Our conversations delve beyond the surface, talking about our days with a genuine interest that feels like weaving the threads of understanding. And every night, without fail, he seals the day with a peck on my forehead.

As Asher pulls up to drop me off at the office, he surprises me by grabbing my elbow just as I'm about to step out. I shoot him a quizzical look, and he grins mischievously. "Just ensuring you don't escape too soon," he teases. I can't help but make a cheeky comment, "Well, well, someone's turning possessive. Not that I mind, though."

I playfully roll my eyes, trying to hide the smile tugging at my lips. "As much as I appreciate the possessive vibe, Mr. Carter, I need to escape the car now. It's prime time, and anyone passing by can witness this spectacle," I tease, urging him to release my elbow.

Asher chuckles, releasing his grip. "Alright, alright, Ms. Secret Agent. Go conquer the day," he says with a wink.With a playful wink, I step out of the car, closing the door behind me. I turn to Asher and say, "Try not to miss me too much today," accompanied by a cheeky grin.

Lily saunters into my office, eyes sparkling with mischief. "Someone's glowing these days," she teases, a knowing smile playing on her lips. I roll my eyes, but the subtle blush gives away that she might be onto something.

I fire back, "Oh, come on, Lily! I've heard Liam's name popping up more than once when we talk about 'glowing' situations." Lily, the master of feigned innocence, bats her eyelashes. "Liam who? I have no idea what you're talking about," she says.

Lily, ever the escape artist, glances at her watch with a feigned gasp. "Oh, would you look at the time? Work calls, gotta run!" she declares.I give Asher a quick call, breaking the news of my extended work hours. "I'll be late today, babe. Got some designs to finalize," I explain. He responds with a casual, "No worries. Call me when you're done, and I'll pick you up."

Joshua's call interrupts my focus. He's leaving for London tomorrow and wants to hand me a parting gift. "I'm still stuck here," I admit, glancing at the piles of work. "But hey, if you're up for an office rendezvous, feel free to drop by now." Joshua's voice crackles through the phone, "Office rendezvous it is! I'll be there in a jiffy. Get ready for your parting gift, my friend."

Amidst the quiet hum of the office, a sudden sound of shattering breaks the stillness. My head jerks up, eyebrows furrowed. Lily and my staff left a while ago, and the unnerving thought of someone else in the office sends a shiver down my spine.

The lights flicker off, plunging my office into darkness. Panic sets in as I fumble for my phone, switching on the flashlight. Heart pounding, I step into the corridor, desperately trying to call Asher, only to be met with the ominous silence of no signal.

In the dimly lit corridor, my breath catches as I spot a figure standing in the shadows. Fear grips me, and my heart seems to stop when a voice, a haunting echo from the past, reaches my ears. It's a voice I'd hoped never to hear again, a sinister whisper that sends a shiver down my spine.

"Long time no see, my dear belle"