Chapter 54

I'm deep into this spreadsheet, trying to make sense of the numbers when the door to my office swings open without warning. I look up, and there's Maya, standing there with that look that says she's not in the mood for games. Behind her, Jake's peering in, looking all kinds of sheepish.

"I tried to stop her, boss," Jake says, scratching the back of his neck like he's got an itch he can't reach. "But she wouldn't budge."I nod, giving him a look that says, "It's all good."

"Maya, what are you doing here?" I asked, my voice edged with irritation. "You’re blacklisted from this company, remember? How did you even get in?"She didn't say a word. Just walked around the table, her eyes locked on mine, her heels clicking with each step. I was about to ask again when she turned my chair around, her hands quick and practiced. In a flash, she popped open two buttons on my shirt.

I froze, my mind scrambling to catch up. What the—? I reached up to grab her wrist, but just then, the door swung open, and there was Addy, standing in the doorway.

Her expression went from curious to furious in half a second, and all I could think was, damn."Addy, it's not what it looks like," I started, my words tripping over themselves.

                           ††††††††††

I leaned over my assistant's desk, my voice dropping low and serious. "Jake, you got the audacity to eat that takeaway my wife brought for you?" I asked, each word dripping with a cold edge.Jake shifted uncomfortably in his chair. "Uh, maybe... maybe I should wait until you try it first?" he offered, clearly unsure if this was a test or just friendly banter. I cracked a small smile, patting his shoulder. "Good choice, Jake," I said, standing upright.

I was minding my business, shuffling through some reports, when my phone buzzed with a call from Lily. The moment I picked up, her voice was laced with concern and a touch of humor. "Asher, what did you do this time? Your wife is storming through the office, and everyone’s feeling her wrath. Seriously, dude, what happened?"I ighed, leaning back in my chair and rubbing my temples. "You know, it’s complicated," I replied.

Lily chuckled on the other end, clearly enjoying my discomfort. "You’ve got to do some damage control, man."
" Yeah, I know." She cuts the call.

                             †††††††

I was picking Addy up from work, thinking I'd try to smooth things over after the whole office incident. But as soon as I reached out to give her a hug, she stepped back, her arms crossed tightly. "Okay," I thought, "she's still upset." I figured I'd give her some space and try again later. But by the time we got home, her cold shoulder was really starting to get on my nerves.

We entered the elevator, and I reached out to touch her arm, but she just pulled away. That's when I lost it. I hit the "stop" button, and the elevator jolted to a halt. Before she could react, I pinned her against the wall, my arms on either side of her, locking her in. "What's this about, Blue? You won't even let me touch you?" I asked, my voice low and rough.

Her eyes narrowed, and she crossed her arms even tighter, trying to look indifferent. But I could see a flicker of something in her eyes, like she was daring me to push her buttons. "Why should I? You think you can just waltz in and act like nothing happened?" she snapped, her voice laced with irritation.

I leaned in even closer, our noses almost touching. "She doesn't matter, Addy. You do. And I’m here, trying to fix this," I said, my tone more gentle, trying to break through her wall. "I messed up, I know. But you're the one I care about. You're the one I love. Can we please just talk about this?"

She didn't say anything, but she didn't push me away either. It wasn't much, but it was a start. I pressed the button to get the elevator moving again, hoping we'd be able to sort things out when we got upstairs. I was ready to do whatever it took to make things right with her. Because if she was giving me the cold shoulder, I knew I'd have to warm things up, fast.

Addy listens to my explanation, her arms crossed, her expression hard. "If this happens again, Asher, there will be consequences," she warns. "You're lucky I still trust you, but don't make me regret it." I know she’s serious, so I don’t even try to argue.

"And you're still sleeping on the couch tonight," she adds, her tone leaving no room for negotiation.

I nod, sighing. "I get it. You're the only one that matters. I shouldn't have let it get this far." I know I'm in trouble, and I need to fix it.

She softens just a little, stepping closer. I lean in and kiss her, slow and gentle. It feels like a step towards mending things. When we break apart, I tell her, "You're my world, you know that?" It’s my way of saying I love you without using those exact words.

She nods, but there's a warning in her eyes. "I hope so," she says, not quite forgiving, but not entirely closed off either. I know I have to work hard to earn back her trust, but she's worth it. Always.

Addy wraps her arms around me, pulling me into a tight hug. It's a relief, but I know she's still on edge. "Asher, you don't have to mend things because they're not broken," she says, her voice soft but firm. "Just make sure you don't break my trust, okay? Because you're my home."

That hit me hard, and I hugged her back, holding her as close as I could. I knew that her trust was fragile, and I had to take care of it, like you would a delicate piece of glass. "I promise," I whisper, hoping she knows how much she means to me. If I'm her home, then I'm going to do whatever it takes to make sure it's the safest, most comforting place she knows.